Academic and Career Advising

Transfer Center Frequently Asked Questions

I heard I can get a bachelor degree at SLCC, is that true?
SLCC, in coordination with other 4-year institutions, offers a limited number of evening bachelor programs at SLCC campuses/sites.  For more information please visit the University Partnership Programs.

Do I need to take a foreign language to get into a University?
Going directly from high school to a university does require foreign language for most university admissions.  However, if you are a "transfer student" with 30 or more college credits, you are no longer required to have a foreign language and your admissions is based  on your college cumulative GPA and if required an essay, letters of recommendation and interview.

I completed the General Studies AS degree but I still don't know what to major in when I transfer, is that a problem?
Four year institutions would like you 'decided' when you arrive.  Take advantage of SLCC's career and major planning options and those at the four year schools.

How can I know that the classes I take at SLCC will transfer?
The Utah State Board of Regents policy states that all courses numbered 1000 and higher transfer to public Utah institutions with appropriate grades. How those courses count toward graduation requirements for a bachelor degree is a more important question which requires on-going planning with advisors at two and four year institutions. Be proactive by meeting with an SLCC advisor and advisors at 4-year schools, explore majors if you are undecided, attend transfer activities at SLCC and other institutions, use articulation agreements, majors sheets, catalogs and institution web sites for planning.

Once I have earned my AS, AA or APE transfer degree am I guaranteed to get into my major at a university?
Admission into a major program at a transfer institution depends upon the receiving institution's requirements for that major.  Some major programs are restricted and require special application as well as a competitive GPA.  See an Academic Advisor at both SLCC and the intended receiving institution for specific articulation information.

How long will it take me to finish my bachelor degree after I transfer?
It depends on how many courses you can take in a semester to finish the remaining required courses (about 45 credits if required freshman and sophomore courses have been completed along with General Education).  A few majors will require full time attendance and others can be completed on a part time basis.

I have a lot of 'W's. Is that a problem?
Some selective majors and graduate programs review the number of 'W's. An on-going pattern of 'W's semester after semester could be viewed as a potential problem without appropriate explanation.

I have bad grades at another college and want to start over.  Do I have to report that I attended that school?
Yes, you must report all institutions previously attended and provide a transcript.

What happens if I don't report all the previous schools I attended?
It could be construed as academic fraud and admissions or a degree could be rescinded.

Can I change my major after I transfer?
Yes, but the courses taken for one major may not apply toward graduation requirements in another major and thereby increase the amount of time to graduate.  Consult an advisor.

When do I apply to transfer?
Begin the transfer process about 6-9 months prior to the semester you want to attend.  This will give time for admissions acceptance, orientation, registration, and any other department requirements to be met in a timely manner.

I repeated a class. Why is my first class still on my transcript and why hasn't my GPA changed? 
The computer system will not automatically pick up a repeated course.  When the repeated class has been graded, submit a completed Repeat Form to Enrollment Services.  The original grade remains on the record and the lower graded course is marked as a repeated course.  The highest grade received will be used to calculate the cumulative grade point average.   A course taken or repeated at another institution must be transferred to SLCC before a repeat can be processed.     Some 4-year majors have a specific limit on how many times a course can be repeated.  Some colleges/universities use the second repeated course grade even if the first grade was higher when considering transfer of courses and GPA.

When is SLCC's Graduation Application deadline?
Posting of graduation is not automatic.  Yes, you have to apply to have your degree posted to your SLCC transcript.  It is helpful to apply by the posted dates on the Graduation Application Form, it helps the graduation office make sure you will have completed all requirements.  The Graduation Office will accept late applications.  Students graduate from SLCC every semester but the graduation ceremony is once a year in May.  Diplomas are mailed to students 6-8 weeks after final grades are posted.