The Biomanufacturing Program is offered through SLCC's Biotechnology Department, and provides specific and focused training for entry-to mid-level positions at companies that manufacture biotechnological products. Examples of such products are biofuels, dietary supplements, medical devices, pharmaceuticals and proteins or organic compounds purified from cells. The manufacturing processes for these products are typically very technical in nature.
Through a hands-on approach, students will learn industry-specific skills necessary to be a proficient worker right from the start.
A few examples of the skills taught through this program are:
- Quality systems and management
- Federal and international regulations
- Good documentation practices
- Good manufacturing practices (GMP)
- Measurement fundamentals
- Production processes and procedures
- Equipment maintenance and troubleshooting
Additionally, students will learn critical soft skills such as:
- Effective communication
- Effective team working/building, especially with coworkers in other groups or departments
- Problem solving