Step 5 - Register Qualified Students
Admission to SLCC and class registration are two separate processes. In order to receive college credit for a course a student must have been properly admitted to SLCC and officially registered by the necessary deadlines. High school CE coordinator are responsible to assure that this has happened. The SLCC CE Department has several tools and resources available to CE coordinators to help them accomplish this. Contact the CE Office for training on these different tools and resources.
To be admitted to the college, students complete an online admission application and pay the admission fee. Students must provide their state student ID number (SSID), which they can obtain through the high school. The admission application will also ask students for their social security number; this is optional, however students who provide their SSN will have a much easier time recovering their student number and login information if they forget that. Students who do not have access to a credit card may complete the online application and then pay by cash or check at one of the SLCC cashiers offices within 3 business days.
- Students will receive a letter in the mail approximately 10 business days after submitting the application, which will include the SLCC ID number.
- Students can be registered in a class within 48 hours of submitting the admission application, barring any application errors.
- Students can take the Accuplacer within 48 hours of submitting the admission application.
- Students can create a MyPage account to view their grades (The college does not mail grade reports) once they receive their S Number.
- Students may obtain an SLCC student ID card within 48 hours of applying for admission.
Once a student has been admitted to the college and paid the $40 admission fee, it is the responsibility of the student to register him or herself by the registration deadline. In order to register the student will need to obtain the CRN (Course Reference Number) from the teacher or coordinator. Students and/or their parents will be responsible for paying the $5 per credit hour tuition. Failure to do so will result in several demand letters being sent to the students home from SLCC, a registration block being placed on their account, and a block on the student's access to their grades and college transcript.
If a student is having troubles registering for a class it could be for one of the following reasons:
- Student has not submitted their application for admission to SLCC or it has been less than 48 hours since the student submitted their application.
- Student is admitted but does not have qualifying Accuplacer, SAT or ACT test scores recorded in the College system.
- Student has a hold on their account as a result of unpaid tuition or other unpaid fees at SLCC.
- The student selected the wrong start semester when completing the admission application or was admitted in a previous semester but never took a class.
- Student has over 21 credits hours for the current semester.
How to Resolve Registration Errors
The SLCC CE Specialist has put several processes in place to aid CE coordinators in resolving registration errors. To schedule an individual training session how how to use these processes contact the concurrent enrollment office.