Disability Resource Center

An Open Letter to Parents

Student reading a book outsideStudents with disabilities at Salt Lake Community College will need to attend a DRC orientation to learn about the accommodations that we provide and to be assigned to an Advisor. The Advisor will conduct an intake meeting to review documentation and determine appropriate accommodations. You are welcome to attend these meetings if your son or daughter requests that you accompany them. It is important, however, that the Advisor and the student develop a good working relationship, so we encourage you to let your student go on his or her own.

In accordance with the Family Educational Right and Privacy Act (FERPA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and Grades Records and Management Act (GRAMA), college personnel are not permitted to discuss student grades, academic progress, counseling matters, disability or accommodation information with parents or other individuals outside of the college without the student's written permission. In addition, such information is only shared on a "need-to-know" basis within the college community.Legally speaking, now that your student is attending college, these laws prevent any SLCC staff or faculty member from speaking to you about your student, their grades, or their student record unless you have written permission with you. These laws are designed to protect the student's privacy, not to make things difficult for parents.

In the event that you feel your son or daughter is not receiving the needed services or accommodations, your best recourse is to help your student advocate for him herself.  If this is not possible, you can speak with either your student's Advisor or the Director of the DRC. Please refrain from calling faculty members as they are legally prevented from communicating with you directly.

Our goal at the Disability Resource Center is to help your college student achieve his or her academic goals. We understand, that as parents you may be used to intervening on his or her behalf. However, you can better serve your son or daughter by working with the Advisor and the DRC to resolve any problems.