Office of the Registrar and Academic Records
The Office of the Registrar and Academic Records supports students with the following appeals:
- Appeal to Withdraw
- Registration Appeal
- Academic Renewal Appeal
Appeal to Withdraw
To withdraw from a course after the published withdrawal date (See Academic Calendar), complete and submit an Appeal to Withdraw Form (if that doesn't open use the Printable Appeal to Withdraw Form) to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. The form must contain signatures from the instructor and Division Chair of each class to be withdrawn from.
If, because of extenuating circumstances, you desire to drop classes and receive a tuition refund/adjustment after the published deadline (See Academic Calendar), you may appeal in writing to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. Appeals for tuition refunds/adjustments must be initiated within one year of the semester involved. Please complete the Registration Appeal Form (the instructions are on the second page) and submit with appropriate documentation to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. Appeals may be submitted by FAX to (801) 957-4961 or mailed to:
Office of the Registrar and Academic Records.
Attn: Appeals Committee
Salt Lake Community College
PO Box 30808,
Salt Lake City, UT 84130
If you have received failing grades ("E" grade only) due to extenuating circumstances, you may also appeal in writing by submitting an Appeal Form with appropriate documentation to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. When appeals for failing grades are granted, "E" grades are changed to official withdrawals. Earned, non-failing grades cannot be changed to official withdrawals. Grades and official withdrawals cannot be removed from your student record except when an appeal for tuition refund or adjustment is granted as described in the preceding paragraph.
Appeals are reviewed by a representative of the the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. Appeals Committee and the results are mailed to you within 2-3 working days. Guidelines for submitting appeals are included on the appeal form. If you are not satisfied with the appeal decision, you may submit a second appeal with additional supporting documentation, to be reviewed by the Appeals Committee. Results of the Appeals Committee decision are final and will be mailed to you.
Academic Renewal Appeal
Students admitted to Salt Lake Community College may petition to have poor grades and credits discounted from the GPA calculation of previous coursework. To petition, the student must have an interruption in their education at Salt Lake Community College of at least five consecutive years and meet the policy requirements 1.1 through 2.8. The Academic Renewal Policy allows a returning student the opportunity to improve academic standing at Salt Lake Community College.
- Academic renewal permits returning students to discount previous poor grades and associated credits from grade point calculations under the following conditions:
- Returning students must have an interruption in their collegiate education at Salt Lake Community College of five or more consecutive years.
- The grades and associated credits to be discounted must be at least five years old.
- Academic renewal applies only to courses with grades of D+, D, D-, E or UW.
- Conditions under which academic renewal will be considered:
- The applicant must be enrolled at Salt Lake Community College at the time of application for academic renewal and upon return to Salt Lake Community College, have completed 6 credits of graded coursework at SLCC with a GPA of 2.0 or above.
- Academic renewal may be applied only once during a student’s academic career at Salt Lake Community College and it is irreversible.
- Not all graded coursework described in 1.3 must be discounted. Students may request specific courses for academic renewal.
- Repeated courses and credits are not eligible for academic renewal.
- Grades and credits approved for academic renewal will no longer count toward Salt Lake Community College program or graduation requirements.
- Courses approved for academic renewal and the course grades will remain on transcripts with an academic renewal notation.
- Students will not receive a tuition adjustment or refund for courses granted academic renewal status.
- Academic renewal applies only to courses and credits taken at Salt Lake Community College.
Process for Application
Students need to meet with an Academic Advisor before applying for Academic Renewal.
- Students applying for academic renewal must complete and submit the Academic Renewal Petition to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records.
- Students must clearly identify courses for which they are requesting academic renewal.
- The Office of the Registrar and Academic Records will determine if all conditions have been met; the student will be notified within four weeks.
- Upon approval for academic renewal, grade point average and credit hours earned will be recalculated and appropriate notations made on the student’s record.
- Academic renewal may not be accepted by transfer institutions or for financial aid satisfactory academic progress requirements.