Skip to main content

Office of the Registrar and Academic Records

Residency at SLCC for Tuition Purposes

Residency guidelines are set by the Utah State Legislature and the Utah Board of Regents for all USHE schools. View the Board of Regents Policies and Procedures R512 online: State of Utah Residency Policy.

Residency Status

Initial residency classification is made during the admissions process.  Students who meet residency requirements may submit an application for resident reclassification and provide supporting documentation to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records

Residency Requirements

In order to qualify for resident student status, students must be designated a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and meet all of the following residency requirements:

1.  Must reside in Utah for twelve continuous months prior to the first day of class the student is seeking resident status.
Provide verification including rental contracts, mortgage documentation, pay stubs or utility bills (one for each month) or a letter from a Utah employer verifying physical presence for work within the state of Utah.  Letter must be on letterhead and dated, include from and to dates of employment and signed by an official authorized to verify employment.  All documents must include student’s name and Utah address.  Students may not leave the state more than a total of 30 days during this 12 month period.

2. Must be financially independent or not claimed as a dependent for tax purposes of any person who is not a Utah resident.
Provide a copy of the first two pages of the student’s most recent federal tax return (Form 1040) and Utah state tax return (Form TC-40).  Students who are single, 24 years of age or younger and who did not file a federal tax return must provide a copy of the parents’ most recent federal tax return(s) and Utah state tax returns.  Amounts and social security numbers other than the student’s may be blocked out.

3.  Must take steps to become a Utah resident and relinquish residency in any other state.
Provide current Utah driver’s license and vehicle registration with issue date prior to the first day of class the student is seeking resident student status. 

Applying for Residency

All prospective students must complete an admissions application and set up their MyPage account before applying to change their residentcy status. Students who believe they meet the requirements to be classified as a resident may appeal their nonresident status by filling out an Application For Residency Classification. This online form is accessed via the student’s MyPage account, where it can be found near the bottom of the MyPage tab on the left-hand side. Sstudents must submit all requested documentation to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records after completing their application for residency status.

Residency Deadlines

2016 Spring Semester: January 19, 2016*
     *Applications received after this date will be processed for the next term. No past terms are considered.

Residency Exceptions

Students who have moved to Utah for non-academic reasons may be eligible for a waiver of the 12 month waiting period in the residency requirements.  A list of exceptions that allow students to qualify for resident status immediately are listed below.

• Utah resident returning from temporary religious or charitable service.
• Utah resident away for higher education reasons.  Must provide verification of non-resident student status at out-of-state college or university.
• Long term ties to Utah.  Students who have been absent from the state who graduated from a Utah high school and has been absent less than 12 months and who has not established residency in another state.
• Utah resident returning from active duty military service or deployment outside of Utah.
• Military Veterans and immediate family members discharged (other than dishonorable discharge) from active duty  military service. 
• Marriage to a Utah resident.
• Full-time, permanent employment in Utah due to job transfer or recruitment.  Student must be transferred or recruited for the position, must be employed at least four months prior to admission, and must remain full-time while attending classes.
• Spouse or parent’s full-time permanent employment in Utah due to job transfer or recruitment.
• Extenuating circumstances.
• Recipient of educational benefits (full tuition and fees) from a Utah State Social Services agency.
• Immigrant placed in Utah as a political refugee.
• Membership in Native American/American Indian Tribe.  Not all tribes qualify, refer to R512 Policy for more detailed information.
• Active duty military personnel and immediate family members or members of a reserve component who are residents of other states but assigned to active duty service in Utah.
• Member of the Utah National Guard.
• Participant in Olympic training program.
• Job Corps students.

International or Undocumented Student Waiver

Students not eligible for residency due to immigration status may qualify for an exemption from non-resident tuition under the HB 144 Waiver.  Students must meet the requirements of attendance at Utah high school for three or more years and graduation or have attained the equivalent thereof, such as a GED in Utah.  Download an Affidavit/Application for Exemption and provide a copy of official high school transcripts to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records.

Western Undergraduate Exchange Program (WUE)

Students who are residents of participating western states can apply to be a part of the SLCC WUE program and pay a reduced non-resident tuition while maintaining residency in their home state. For more information see the WUE Application.

Salt Lake Community College

4600 South Redwood Road Salt Lake City, UT 84123
Student Services hours: M-Th: 7 am - 7 pm; Fr 7 am - 4:30 pm
Enrollment Info: 801-957-4073

Technical Support

Live Chat