Fashion Designer, Self-employed (2007 - present)
• Design and produce contemporary women’s wear for own clothing label; including eveningwear, tailored jackets, swimwear and higher end fashion products.
• Sketch and draft apparel designs, create patterns, develop and fit samples, and construct finished garments.
• Interpret current market trends and produce designs that identify within the target market.
• Manage staff, advise and direct interns through the design and construction process.
• Market, promote and sell designs to retail buyers and online.
• Designed and developed website: kristanielson.com.
Fashion Freelance Writer, In This Week (2009 - present)
• Write weekly fashion column “The Fashion File.”
• Responsible for all aspects of writing, reporting, editing and photography.
• Cover local and national trends, designers, fashion shows and events.
• Attended New York Fashion Week, September 2009 and February 2010.
• Covered designer fashion shows, social gatherings and nightlife events.
• Interviewed designers, celebrities and stylists.
• Supplied daily news blogs and photographs to magazine’s online site: www.inthisweek.com.
Special Contributor, The Salt Lake Tribune (January 2010 - present)
• Report and write monthly feature story about style, fashion and trends.
• Stylist and coordinator for photography, including merchandise selection, fittings and accessorizing, and hair stylist, makeup artist and model bookings.
• City Weekly 2010 Arty Award Winner: Readers Choice Favorite Fashion Designer.
• Steve Madden Art + Sole Shoe Competition Winner. Designed boot that was produced and marketed nationally by Steve Madden Company and named after me, the “Kristaa” boot.
• Designed and constructed special occasion dress worn by celebrity actress Kristy Swanson.
• Named one of “Five Utah Stylemakers to Watch” by Salt Lake City Magazine.
• Best of Show Winner and Best Quality of Construction, SLCC Fashion Institute “Raw Couture” Annual Student Fashion Show.
• Best Fashion Design Winner, “Giving Fashion New Life” Recycled Fashion Show.