- Locations and Hours
- Contact Us
- Financial Aid in 9 Steps
- Student Eligibility
- Satisfactory Academic Progress
- Eligible Programs
- Types of Aid
- Educational Expenses
- Awarding Aid
- FAFSA Workshops
- Net Price Calculator
Scholarships and Tuition Waivers
Federal Title IV loan programs assist students with their educational expenses now and are repaid when the student is no longer attending or enrolled in at least six credit hours time. The College participates in three federal loan programs: the Federal Perkins Loan, the Federal Stafford Student Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), and the Federal Plus Program for parents of dependent students. In addition to these federal programs, SLCC provides a short-term emergency loan fund. By institutional policy, loans are not awarded retroactively. Skills Center students are not awarded Federal Stafford Student Loans, Federal Plus Loans or short-term emergency loans.
- Federal Perkins Loan: This program is available to students with demonstrated financial need*. Value ranges from $100 to $2700 depending on need and fund availability. Repayment begins 9 months after graduation, leaving school or dropping below six credit hours. The minimum repayment is $40 per month and may be higher depending on the total amount borrowed. The maximum time allowed for repayment is 10 years, not counting periods of deferment. The interest rate is fixed at 5%.
Student Loans and Receivables handles processing of the Federal Perkins Loans, promissory notes, loan entrance, and exit counseling, and Perkins Loan repayment.
* Notice * The federal government has stopped funding this program. However, limited amounts are still available from funds that are being repaid to the loan program at Salt Lake Community College.
Federal Direct Stafford Student Loan (subsidized/unsubsidized): Available to students with demonstrated financial need. Provided by the Federal Government. The value of the loan for students who have completed less than 30 hours cannot exceed $3500.00 per year. The value of the loan for students who have completed 30 hours or more cannot exceed $4500.00 per year. Repayment of the loan begins 6 months after the student leaves school or drops below half time enrollment. The minimum payment during repayment is $50.00 per month and may be higher depending on the total amount borrowed. The maximum time frame allowed for repayment is 10 years, not counting periods of deferment or forbearance. The interest rate has been fixed at 3.4% beginning July 1, 2011. Subsidized loans do not accrue interest while a student is attending at least half time (6 or more credit hours). Unsubsidized loans will accrue interest during the loan period, borrowers may pay the interest quarterly or have it capitalized. An additional unsubsidized amount is available students and may be requested by completing an additional unsubsidized loan application and meeting with a Financial Aid Advisor. First time borrowers must complete Loan Entrance Counseling.
- All students who have had Stafford Student Loans and cease to attend SLCC on at least a half time basis, (6 credit hours), must complete Loan Exit Counseling.
Learn more about the Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority, the guarantee agency.
Find forms for a variety of deferment options available through Utah Higher Education Assistance Authority for their student loan borrowers.
Sample Loan Repayment Schedule
Below is a sample loan repayment grid showing the monthly payments and total amounts repaid. The minimum payment for Stafford loan is $50.00 per month, for Perkins Loan $40.00 per month
The interest rate for Stafford Loans is now fixed at 6.8 percent as of July 1, 2006
Standard Repayment Plan at 8.25% Interest Loan Amount Number of Payments Monthly Payment Interest Charges Total Repaid 2,600.00 65 $50.00 $628.42 $3,228.42 4,000.00 120 $50.00 $1,827.30 $5,827.30 7,500.00 120 $91.99 $3,538.80 $11,038.80 10,000.00 120 $122.65 $4,718.00 $14,718.00 15,000.00 120 $183.98 $7,077.60 $22,077.60
- Federal Parental Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS): Available to the parents of dependent students. Provided by lending institutions. PLUS disbursement checks will be made co-payable to parent(s) and SLCC. Parental endorsement must be obtained before SLCC endorsement and subsequent disbursement can be made. The value may not exceed cost of education less other estimated financial assistance. Repayment begins 60 days after disbursement. The interest rate is variable and cannot exceed 9%.
- Short-term Emergency Loans: Available to students who have completed at least 12 credit hours at SLCC and have a cumulative GPA of 2.00 or higher. Provided by Salt Lake Community College. The maximum amount is $200.00 to cover emergency expenses only. An emergency loan must be repaid by the end of the term in which it is made. A student's tuition must be paid in full, to be eligible for this loan. A $10.00 service charge is added to the amount borrowed.
Verification of enrollmentThe National Student Clearinghouse Student Self Service site provides the following functions:
- Print Enrollment Verification Certificate that you can send to all requestors requiring proof of degree and enrollment (Firms, Employers, Lenders, Health Insurers, and Housing Providers).
- Check the deferment forms and electronic notifications that have been sent to your lenders.
- Obtain a list of your student loan lenders and link to real-time loan information.
- View your enrollment history and find out when SLCC is scheduled to send the Clearinghouse its next enrollment update.
- View enrollment verifications to student service providers that have been made per your request or the service provider's request (with your consent).