What is General Education?
General Education is the part of a college curriculum shared by all students seeking a degree. It provides broad exposure to multiple disciplines and forms the basis for developing important intellectual and civic capacities.
Students: How Should You Approach General Education?
- General Education is not a random series of courses that you take to “get out of the way” so you can start your major.
- As you take General Education courses, think to yourself that you are building an essential foundation to your future success in higher education, in the workplace, and as a citizen in a democratic republic.
- Use your ePortfolio to document the building of your unique educational foundation by archiving significant work that you’ve done, and reflecting deeply on that work.
- Consider how all of your General Education courses have a common purpose: they are separately helping you achieve essential learning outcomes.
- Even though you have many General Education courses from which to choose, think about how they are integrated with each other into a coherent experience of your own creation.