Creating a Group Vacation Calendar
Creating a separate staff vacation calendar for your group has many advantages:
- everyone can see, at a glance, when co-workers will be out
- staff vacation does not need to appear on a supervisor's, or other staff member's, calendar
- vacation can be approved by the supervisor
- the calendar view can be turned on and off as needed by all members of the group
Create the Calendar
- Launch your calendar by clicking Calendar on the top of http://bruinmail.slcc.edu.
- In the My Calendars section on the left, click Add
- Choose a name for the calendar (e.g. [Department Name] Vacation)
- In the "Share with Specific People" section, add your co-workers and supervisor.
- The supervisor should have "Make Changes and Manage Sharing" privileges
- Everyone else can simply have "See All Event Details" privileges
- Click the Create Calendar button at the bottom. Now, your calendar will appear in the "My Calendars" list
Add the Calendar Address as a Contact
These instructions are to be completed by anyone who plans to put vacation on the calendar.
the calendar in your list of calendars. Unless you are the supervisor
or the person who set up the calendar, it will probably be found under
- Click the arrow next to the calendar name and choose "Calendar Settings"
the section labeled Calendar Address. Highlight and copy the text to
the right of the words Calendar ID:. It should look something like email@example.com
we will add this address as a contact. Go to your email contacts - if
you are not sure how to get there you can simply visit https://bruinmail.slcc.edu/#contacts.
- Click the icon of a person with a plus sign to create a new contact.
- For the name, type "[Your Department or Group] Vacation Calendar
- For the email address, paste the text you copied earlier
- Save the contact
Supervisor / Approver: Set up Notifications
If the staff
vacation dates are going to need approval, these instructions are to be
completed by the supervisor(s) who plan to approve events on the
- Under My Calendars, click the dropdown arrow next to your new calendar name and choose Notifications
these three boxes on this screen: New Invitations, Changed
Invitations, Canceled Invitations. This will send you (the supervisor)
an email whenever an employee is requesting or changing vacation time.
Using the Calendar
Staff - Adding/Requesting Vacation
These instructions to be completed by employees each time they would like to request vacation time.
- Add the vacation to your own calendar.
- Create an all day event on the date you will be out. Or, if you have a shorter appointment, create an event for those times.
your name in the event name, for example, "Josiah C. Vacation". Do not
include any more personal details about your time out.
the event to "Show me as Busy" instead of available, so people trying
to schedule an appointment with you will see that you are busy.
the Guests area on the right, start typing the name of the contact you
created (e.g. [Your Department or Group] Vacation Calendar. When you
see the contact appear, choose it.
- Save the event
supervisor(s) will receive an email about your vacation request. They
can either approve or decline the invitation. You will receive an email
with their choice.
Supervisor(s) - Approving Vacation
you (a supervisor) are going to be approving staff vacation dates, you
should first follow the instructions above for setting up
- When staff members add vacation
dates to their calendars, they will invite the group vacation calendar,
and you will receive an email with the request.
- Click "More Details" in the email to view the event
- At the top of the event, where it says "Going?", choose Yes. Click Save.
can also approve/decline vacation from the calendar. Every event with a
question mark on the calendar has not yet been approved - you can click
the question mark and make your choice.
Viewing the Calendar
- To toggle the calendar on or off, click its name in your list of calendars.
change the display color, click the arrow next to the calendar name and
you will be presented with a choice of colors. Your color choice will
only be displayed for you - when others view the calendar, they can make
their own color choice.