International Student Advising

F-1 Students

What is SEVIS

Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) is an online database of information about international students in the U.S. It’s maintained by the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) under the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

F-1 and M-1 international students are required to register in the federal Student Exchange and Visitor Information System (SEVIS), and must maintain legal status by following federal regulations.

You must have a complete and accurate Form I‑20 to complete the online Form I‑901. The SEVIS I‑901 fee is $200. You must pay the fee at least three business days prior to your visa interview, and have proof that you paid it. Print a receipt when you pay online and keep the receipt as proof.

You can pay the SEVIS fee in three ways:

  • A credit card online
  • Mail an international money order or U.S. bank check
  • Western Union Quick Pay service in your country

Student information maintained in SEVIS includes: name, date of birth, country of birth, country of citizenship, overseas permanent and U.S. local addresses, program and major, program start and end dates, level of study, funding requirements, and funding sources.

  • Failure to arrive or enroll
  • Failure to obtain permission for part-time enrollment
  • Withdrawal or termination from your program and reason for termination
  • Change of address
  • Change of other relevant information such as name, completion date, school or site of activity
  • Early graduation
  • Recommendations for employment authorization or reinstatement
  • Failure to maintain nonimmigrant status

If you have SEVIS questions, call 801-957-4528 or email Include your full name and Student Number in your email.

How to Maintain Your F-1 Student Visa Status

Staying Legal: Know your Immigration Responsibilities – It is your responsibility to know and comply with the regulations pertaining to your current visa classification.

As an international student on an F-1 visa you must do the following to maintain lawful presence while in the U.S.:

  • Attendance
    • Attend the school whose name appears on your I-20.
  • Full Course of Study
    • Maintain a full course of study (register for and complete at least 12 credit hours in a college major program; have 80-percent attendance or higher in 18 clock hours of English as a Second Language) each Fall and Spring semester. You must receive permission from International Student Affairs before dropping below 12 credit hours.
  • Internet Classes
    • Only one course or 3 credits of an on-line internet class can be counted toward the full-course of study (12 credit hours) per semester. 9 credit hours must be in a physical face to face classroom setting.
  • Vacation
    • Summer is the only vacation term and attendance is optional unless it is your first term at SLCC after entering the U.S.
  • Employment
    • If you are maintaining a full course of study you can obtain a letter of permission from International Student Affairs to accept on-campus employment.
    • Employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session.
    • More hours can be worked during the summer vacation and official school breaks if hours and funds are available.
    • Off-campus employment is available to eligible students through Curricular Practical Training (CPT) or Optional Practical Training (OPT).
    • You must receive permission before accepting employment.
    • See International Student Employment for more information.
  • Change of Contact Information
    • You have 10 days to update any change with your address, phone number, or email on MySLCC. Go to Academic & Records tab > Academic Records > Change of Address, Phone, Email.
  • Travel
    • Before leaving the U.S., your I-20 must be signed by a Designated School Official (DSO) to allow you to re-enter the U.S.
    • Please bring your I-20 to International Student Affairs at least 14 days before your departure.
  • Valid Passport
    • Do not let your passport expire. Start the renewal process six months before the expiration date.
    • Visit for your country’s embassy renewal procedures.
  • Documents
    • Make a copy of your I-20 and carry it with you at all times as this is your identification card in the U.S.
    • Keep your original I-20, passport, and a copy of your I-94 card/record in a safe, dry place.

Transfer from Intensive English Language Program

To transfer from the School of Applied Technology Intensive English Language Program to an SLCC associate degree program, F-1 students must apply for a new I-20 and complete the transfer process. This new I-20 must be signed within 15 days after the start of class.

ESL to UG Transfer Form (PDF)

Reinstatement of F-1 Status

A student who has failed to maintain their F-1 status may either apply to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to be reinstated to lawful F-1 status, or re-enter the U.S. using a new I-20 and pay the $200 SEVIS I-901 fee again using the student’s new SEVIS number.

F-1 Status Reinstatement Instructions (PDF)