Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to take the assessment test in math?
maasThe Accuplacer (CPT) is given to all new students or to students that have not taken any math classes in the past year. Students must show proficiency in the prerequisite skills that are required for each course. ACT scores are also used for initial placement. Students must earn a C or better to take a subsequent course. The classes and pre-requisites must be completed within one year of taking the course; otherwise students must place into the course via the CPT.
Students with an Elementary Algebra score between 54 and 89 or a College Level Math score below 42 are able to register for Math 1010 (Intermediate Algebra.) Students with a College Level Math score between 43 and 89 are able to register for Math 1050, Math 1030, Math 1040, or Math 1090 (one of the Quantitative Literacy core courses.) Students that score higher then 90 on the College Level Math section may register for Math 1210 (Calculus I.)
The assessment test is only used to place students in courses up to and including Calculus I (Math 1210). If you believe you qualify for a mathematics course above the level of Math 1210, please see the Mathematics Department Chair for advisement.
Students with an ACT score between 18 and 22 may register for Math 1010. Those with at least an ACT score of 23 may register for Math 1050 (or General Education equivalent). Higher ACT scores will require CPT for more accurate placement.
Should I prepare for taking the CPT test?
Students should plan on studying before taking the CPT exam. The score on the assessment test is the main criteria used for placement into the most appropriate mathematics class at Salt Lake Community College. Please review the study materials on the department website or review the study guide for the standardized final exams in the bookstore before you take the assessment test. This should give you a score that most accurately reflects what you know.
Can I retake the assessment test if I don't place as high as I think I should?
If you don't place as high as you think you should place, the Math part of the CPT exam may be retested twice per semester. A fee is charged for retests, for more information go to Student Testing Services.
I have a high placement score. Should I take Math 1050, Math 1030, Math 1040, or Math 1090?
Math 1050 is intended as a pre-calculus course; students taking Math 1050 are progressing towards Calculus. Math 1030, Math 1040, and Math 1090 are intended for majors not requiring the traditional calculus sequence. Math 1030, Math 1040, and Math 1090 also fill a Quantitative Literacy requirement for graduation, double check with your advisor and your major's requirements.
Where can I go for Tutoring Help?
The Math Lab (located in LIB-044) provides academic support services for student success in math and science courses. These services include the following:
  • Tutoring in all levels of mathematics courses at SLCC
  • Current textbooks, answer books, and solution manuals for most math courses at SLCC; and
  • Computers used to provide tutorial support or for instruction in math and science courses with a variety of software.
  • Calculators for use in the Math Lab.
Free tutoring is available on a drop-in basis to all SLCC students. Individualized and small group tutoring is available (depending on tutor availability). Students need to apply to be matched with a tutor for the semester. Tutoring can be arranged at other campuses depending on tutor and student schedules. For more information, visit The Learning Center and other Tutoring Resources page.
If I get an A in Math 0950, can I skip Math 0990 and go right to Math 1010 or higher?
No. Students with an A in Math 0950 must either take Math 0990 and earn a C or better in order to take Math 1010. Students may take the CPT exam and place into a higher math course; otherwise they progress through their math sequence by taking the subsequent courses or by challenging a course.
Do I have to take Math 1010 before Math 1020?
No. Math 1010 is a prerequisite for Math 1030, Math 1040, Math 1050, or Math 1090. Math 1020 has Math 0990 or appropriate CPT score as a prerequisite.
Do I take Math 1020 as a pre-requisite to Math 1050, Math 1030, Math 1040, or Math 1090?
No. The pre-requisite for any math core requirement is Math 1010 with a C or better within a year or appropriate placement score within a year.
Do I have to take Math 1060 before Math 1210?
Math 1060 covers the trigonometry you will need to know for Calculus. A grade of C or better in Math 1060, or an appropriate score on the mathematics assessment test is required for you to take Math 1210.
Math 1210 and Math 1220 are intended primarily for students of the physical sciences, engineering, and mathematics. This Calculus sequence encompasses an introduction to the major ideas of single variable calculus including limits, derivatives, and integrals of algebraic and transcendental functions and their applications. A solid foundation in college algebra and trigonometry (Math 1050 and Math 1060, respectively) is necessary for the Calculus I and Calculus II.
What should I do if I have failed any exams in my math class?
Anytime you find yourself not understanding the material or if you have failed an exam, set up a meeting with your professor to discuss your progress in the course. Take your exams so the two of you can review any mistakes. The goal of this discussion is to be able to determine if the mistakes you have been making warrant more studying on your part, getting a tutor, remediation in a particular area where you lack the prerequisite skills, or withdrawing from the class.
Who is the best teacher for Math XXYY?
Send an email to the instructor teaching the course, ask them about the class and teaching modalities used in the class. Better yet, go talk to them either before or after class to get an idea of their teaching style. You may also ask them for a course syllabus to get an idea of the instructor's course policy and expectations. Teaching styles vary, and some may be better suited for your particular learning style than others. Do you excel in classes where there is more interaction and group activity, a more traditional lecture format, or something in between? Do you like online courses or online homework?