New Student Orientation - Frequently Asked Questions
Which Orientation is the right one for me?
Does Orientation cost anything?
Is Orientation Mandatory?
How long does the Orientation last?
Do I need to sign up for the Orientation?
Where to park when I come for the Orientation?
What do I need to bring to orientation?
Do I need to take Accuplacer test before I attend orientation?
I have recently applied to the SLCC, can I come for Orientation?
After I complete orientation, how long do I have to wait to register for my classes?
I just need to take one class, do I need to attend orientation?
I want to take all my classes at Taylorsville Campus, can I attend Orientation at another campus?
I got a parking ticket on the day I came to the Orientation, what should I do?
- Which Orientation is the right one for me?
We have three types of orientation and you can choose the type that fits your needs best.
- CampusConnect – An extended, in-depth orientation designed for students who are going to the college for the very first time, and their families. Sessions are only offered in the summer (May, June, and July) and autumn (November and December)
- QuickConnect – is a 90 to 120 minute in-person session offered mornings, afternoons, and evenings throughout the year. If you can not come to a CampusConnect, your second option should be to come to a QuickConnect.
- NetConnect – Ideally, we'd like to see you on campus for orientation, but we realize that isn't an option for everyone. Our NetConnect orientation is good for students unable to attend an in-person, campus-based orientation or for transfer students who are already familiar with college expectations and procedures. Please be aware that a follow-up advising session is highly recommended.
- Does Orientation cost anything?
QuickConnect and NetConnect are free. Thanks to our sponsors, CampusConnect is also free of charge to students. Family members and guests accompanying students are invited to come to our CampusConnect orientations, but there is a maximum of two family members per student.
- Is Orientation Mandatory?
Yes, if you are a first year, first-time student, former concurrent, or early enrollment student, you are required to attend an Orientation. If you are a returning or transfer student, you will be given an earlier registration date if you complete orientation.
- How long does the Orientation last?
CampusConnect Orientation is a half day event, which includes workshops, advising, program fair, registration assistance, food, and various other information. QuickConnect lasts typically 90-minutes which includes a 30-minute group advising session, and an optional 30 minute course registration workshop after the program concludes. NetConnect takes about an hour to complete.
- Do I need to sign up for the Orientation?
Yes. In order to provide you with the necessary materials, we recommend that you register for orientation beforehand.
- Where to park when I come for the Orientation?
- Taylorsville Redwood Campus – Park in the visitor parking. We will provide you with validations to pay for parking.
- Jordan Campus – Park in any student parking designated by a solid yellow line.
- South City Campus – Park in any student parking designated by a solid yellow line.
- Miller Campus – Park in any student parking designated by a solid yellow line.
- What do I need to bring to orientation?
You must present a picture ID at check-in (i.e., driver's license, state ID, etc.). It is also helpful to bring a copy of your admissions letter if available or SLCC student number if possible.
- Do I need to take the Accuplacer test before I attend orientation?
We strongly suggest you take the Accuplacer test before attending Orientation but it is not a requirement to attend Orientation. If you haven't, we recommend that you complete the Accuplacer soon after doing an orientation program. Note: All students will have to take the Accuplacer test or submit a valid ACT/SAT scores prior to registering for classes. For more information about the Accuplacer visit the SLCC Testing Services website, or review this FAQ on Testing.
- I have recently applied to the SLCC, can I come for Orientation?
Yes, if you have just applied we might not have all of your information but you are still welcome to attend Orientation.
- After I complete orientation, how long do I have to wait to register for my classes?
If you did a NetConnect, we will release the registration hold within 24 hours of completing Orientation. If you completed an QuickConnect or a CampusConnect we will release your hold after you finished with the orientation program.
- I just need to take one class, do I need to attend Orientation?
If you are a first year, first time student, a former concurrent enrollment or early enrollment student, then "yes," you will. If you are a returning or transfer student, then "no," but please note you may be given an earlier registration date if you complete an orientation.
- I want to take all my classes at Taylorsville Campus, can I attend Orientation at another campus?
Yes, we offer orientation sessions at Taylorsville Redwood, South City, Jordan, and Miller Campuses. You may attend orientation at any campus even if you intend to take classes at another campus.
- I got a parking ticket on the day I came to the Orientation, what should I do?
Call the Orientation office within 48 hours of receiving the ticket at 801-957-4299. We will need your ticket number, license plate number and SLCC student ID. We will only waive the ticket if it is within the 48 hours, otherwise you will need to contact Parking Services.