Policies and Procedures

Restricted Purchases and Special Procurement

Chapter: 2

Section: 10.04

Computer Index Code: C2S10.04

Origination Date: 5/22/84

Inst. Council Approval Date: 10/10/84



    To set forth college policies including prohibitions, special approvals, limitations, and restrictions, governing the procurement of supplies, capital equipment and services.


    Policy and Procedure 9.0 College Procurement - General

    Policy and Procedure 9.1 Requisition Preparation and Processing

    Policy and Procedure 10 Shipping and Receiving

    Utah State Law 58-27-2,3,4

    Federal Controlled Substance Act Title II, P.L. 91-513


    1. "Controlled Substances" are those controlled substances as stated in Utah State Law 58-37-2,3,4 and the Federal Controlled Substance Act Title II, P.L. 91-513 as is amended from time to time.

    All college purchases must be made by authorized Purchasing Department personnel. Orders placed by faculty and staff members directly with vendors will not be recognized as college obligations and will be referred to the individual who placed the order for payment.

    The Purchasing Department is forbidden from making personal purchases for any employee.

    The use of college funds to acquire supplies or services for personal use is prohibited.

    Alcoholic beverages or other controlled substances may not be acquired with college funds.


    1. Acquisitions that Require Special Approvals

      1. Repairs to personal property (except automotive equipment) damaged while its owner is engaged in college business may not be procured unless the requisition bears the authorizing signature of the appropriate Dean, Director, or Vice President.
      2. Organization or association memberships may be procured only if the requisition is signed by the requesting person and countersigned by his/her immediate supervisor, dean and Assistant to the President.
      3. Material for remodeling or renovation of buildings (including carpeting) will be initiated by the Director of Facilities.
      4. Coin-operated vending equipment including stamp- dispensing machines, food and beverage dispensers, etc., will be initiated by the College Center Director. All vending machines and vending operations on campus, including jobbers who may be permitted in order areas will be reviewed at least semi-annually at the discretion of the Vice President for Administration.
    2. Acquisition of Government Property

      1. Surplus College Property

        1. Surplus college property is available through the Property Control Office.
        2. Information regarding the availability of surplus college property may be obtained from the Property Control Office.
      2. Property available through Utah State Agency for Surplus Property (USASP).

        1. USASP property is available to any college department.
        2. Property may be inspected at the USASP facility in Salt Lake City.
        3. All property selected by authorized representatives will be picked up by a designated person.
        4. A standard requisition form is required for the selected items.
      3. Excess Federal Property

        1. Excess federal government property may be available at little or no cost other than transportation charges. A standard requisition is required to pay transportation costs.

For more information, contact Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Risk Administration at 801-957-4041