Risk Management

Driver Safety Programs

Please visit the new EEO/Risk Administration website here

Who Is Eligible To Drive on College Business?

College employees, students, and official volunteers may be authorized by the SLCC Office of Equal Employment opportunity (EEO) and Risk Administration to drive on College business in a College-owned vehicle, a State fleet vehicle, a College authorized rental vehicle, or their own personal vehicle. Some age and driving record restrictions apply.

Training Requirement

The Utah State Division of Risk Management requires that for an eligible individual to be authorized to drive on College business in either 1) a College owned vehicle, or 2) their own personal vehicle, a driver safety training course must be completed as part of the application process and before authorization to drive can be granted. Only authorized drivers should drive on College business.

If you drive your personal vehicle on College business, you do not qualify for mileage reimbursement unless you are an authorized driver. Additionally, if an accident occurs while you are on College business, your personal automobile insurance is still responsible for all damages and liability; the College is not.

Training must be taken every two years.

Post Accident Training Requirement

If you are involved in an accident or incident while on College business, in either a College-owned vehicle or your own vehicle, and damage occurs to 1) your vehicle, 2) another vehicle, or 3) other property, you are required to repeat the driver safety training before you are allowed to drive on College business again. Authorization to drive again is restored only by the SLCC Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Risk Administration.

Application To Become An Authorized Driver

  1. Complete State of Utah required driver safety training. The training includes a video presentation and a test. Materials are available online. Click here for information on how to complete Drivers Safety Training.
  2. Complete a Mileage / Motor Pool Authorization Form and have it signed by your immediate supervisor.
  3. Submit the following materials to the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Risk Administration (Taylorsville Redwood Campus, Academic & Administration Building AAB 211; or mail stop code EEO/RISK):

a. Verification of test completion
b. Signed Mileage / Motor Pool Authorization Form
c. Legible photocopy of your drivers license.

The SLCC Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Risk Administration will verify your eligibility and add you to the authorized driver database. If, for some reason you are not eligible to drive, both you and your supervisor will be notified.

Authorization To Drive High Occupancy Vehicles

If you wish to drive a high occupancy vehicle (a vehicle with seven (7) or more passengers) additional course work and hands-on training is required. This training must be renewed every two (2) years for the hands-on portion and every four (4) years for the full course. Additionally, an In-State Travel Request Form must be submitted to the SLCC Motor Pool Office before each trip.

To register for the HOV training, please contact the Motor Pool Office (801-957-4271) or motor.pool@slcc.edu.

Taking Vehicles Out of State

College vehicles should not be driven outside the State of Utah. However, requests are reviewed on a per trip basis. Authorization to do so may be requested by submitting an Out-of-State Travel Request Form to the SLCC Office of Risk Management.

Questions or Additional Information

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the SLCC Office of Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Risk Administration at 801-957-4637.