Risk Management

Workers' Compensation

Please visit the new EEO/Risk Administration website here

Workers’ Compensation 101

Q.  What is Workers’ Compensation?

A.  Workers’ Compensation pays medical expenses and helps offset lost wages for employees and volunteers and may apply to health students involved in a clinical experience and visitors, with work-related injuries or illnesses.

Q. How long do I have to work at Salt Lake Community College (SLCC) before I am protected by Workers’ Compensation?

A. You are entitled to Workers’ Compensation benefits for work-related injuries and illnesses as soon as you begin working at SLCC, even if you work part-time.

Q. What benefits does Workers’ Compensation provide?

A. Covers 2/3 of the employee’s gross salary after they have missed 3 days of work (use sick or vacation leave for the three days. If you are off more than 14 days, you will be reimbursed for the 3 days). Hourly employees are off without pay.

Q. Who pays for Workers’ Compensation?

A. SLCC; the cost cannot be deducted from your wages.

Q. Who is SLCC’s Workers’ Compensation insurance carrier?

 A. Workers Compensation Fund
100 S Towne Ridge Pkwy
Sandy, UT 84070
(385) 351-8000

Q. Can my claim be denied because I was at fault for the injury?

A. No. Workers’ Compensation is a no-fault system. 

Reporting an Injury

Q.  Who do I report a work-related injury or illness to?
A.  Notify your supervisor immediately; it is their responsibility to report the accident to EEO & Risk Administration by the next working day.

Sarah Stoker                           Mikel Birch
(801) 957-4533                      (801) 957-4041
sarah.stoker@slcc.edu         mikel.birch@slcc.edu
When reporting, it’s helpful, but not required to know the following:

  • Name of Injured Employee
  • Phone Number of Injured Employee
  • Date and Time of Injury
  • Summary of Injury
  • Actions Taken
  • Witnesses
  • Conditions of Accident/Apparent hazards

Click here for a Report of Injury/ SLCC Incident Form.

Medical Attention

Q.  Where do I go for medical attention?
A.  Go to: Intermountain Healthcare WorkMed

1685 W. 2200 S.                                              201 East 5900 South #100
SLC, UT 84119                                                Murray, UT 84107
801-972-8850                                                  801-288-4900
M-F 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM                                  M-F 8 AM – 5 PM

During evening/night/weekend hours, an employee should wait until Intermountain WorkMed is open if possible; otherwise, go to a listed Workers’ Compensation Preferred Provider (www.wcfgroup.com). Go to the Emergency Room only for threat of life or limb.

Q.  What if I have a Blood Borne Injury?
A.  Follow the protocol at the facility where you were injured; if the facility does not have a protocol go to:

University of Utah
Infectious Diseases
University Hospital
Clinic 1A
50 North Medical Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84132
M-F 8 AM – 5 PM, call for an appointment.

Q. Can my employer or its insurance company require me to go to a specific doctor or hospital for treatment?
A. Only for the first visit.

Filing a Claim

Q.  How do I File a Workers’ Compensation Claim?
A.  When EEO & Risk Administration are notified of an injury, we will schedule a time to meet with the employee to file the claim on-line. Filing typically takes about 30 minutes.

Claims should be reported to Workers’ Compensation within 7 days after the injury or illness (12-hours for serious injury or illness).

Returning to Work

Q.  When can I return to work?
A. You can return to work when you are able to do so. You should consult with your Physician to obtain a Full-Duty Work Release or a Temporary or Transitional Work Assignment.

Q.  What is a Temporary or Transitional Work Assignment (TTA)?
A.  TTA is a temporary assignment that restricts the employee’s activity as per doctor's orders. The TTA has a beginning date and an ending date. The TTA is signed off by the employee, the employee's supervisor and the Transitional Work Coordinator (Sarah Stoker); must use sick, vacation, or no pay for doctor appointments that are scheduled during the work day, unless appointments cannot be scheduled at any other time.