Student Testing Services
Accuplacer Placement Test Information
ALL students MUST wait to receive their Letter of Acceptance from SLCC before they can take their Accuplacer Placement Test!
The results of the placement test are used to advise the appropriate coursework in which you can succeed as you begin your education at SLCC. Your assessment results do not affect your admissions to the College; however, you will not be able to register for some classes until your test scores are posted. Course prerequisites may be met by submitting ACT or SAT scores to Enrollment Services, or by completing Accuplacer testing at one of SLCC's Testing Services offices. If you have taken the Accuplacer at another college or university, you may also have those scores submitted to Testing Services. Math assessment results are valid for one year; English assessment results are valid forever. You must have photo identification, such as a driver's license, in order to test. The tests are given on a computer; however, no previous computer experience is needed to take the test. Answering most questions requires using two keys. Results are available immediately after you complete the test.
What does the test cover?
There are three basic sections:
- Reading Comprehension
- Sentence Skills
What do you need to know about the Accuplacer?
- No appointment is necessary. Accuplacer is given on a walk-in basis.
- It is not a timed test. You may take as long as you need.
- It is fairly short. There are only 12 – 20 questions per section. The average student takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete it.
- The test adjusts the questions to your ability level. This way, the questions are neither too easy nor too hard.
- It is highly accurate. Accuplacer is used by over 1,000 colleges and universities nationwide and gives you a reliable indication of your skill level.
- Results are immediately available. Within minutes of completing the test, you will receive a complimentary copy of your results to aid you in registering for classes.
- If you are unhappy with your results, you may retest. English may be retested once per semester and math twice. A fee is charged for retests. Please check with us for current retest price information.
Have you already taken the Accuplacer at another college?
If you have already taken the Accuplacer test at another college or university, you can ask them to fax or e-mail an official copy of your scores. The fax number is 801-957-4750. E-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Have you already taken classes at another college?
If you are transferring previous classes to SLCC, please visit the Transcript Evaluation website to learn how to have your prior credits evaluated.