Student Testing Services
Accuplacer Placement Test
The Accuplacer test gauges your knowledge in math, reading and writing and determines the appropriate courses for your success. You'll need your Student Number to take the Accuplacer test. Your Student Number is available online two business days after you apply to SLCC.
Taking the Accuplacer:
- The exam is administered each weekday on a walk-in basis in Testing Services at the Taylorsville Redwood, South City, and Jordan campuses.
- You must bring a legal, photo ID, such as a driver's license.
- The test is not timed. You may take as long as you need.
- There are 12-20 questions per section and the average student takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete it.
- The test adjusts the questions to your ability level. This way, the questions are neither too easy nor too hard.
- It is highly accurate. Accuplacer is used by over 1,000 colleges and universities nationwide and gives a reliable indication of your skill level.
- If you are unhappy with your results, you may retest. English may be retested once per semester and math twice. It cost $15 to retake the exam.
- Your results do not affect admission, but you will not be able to register for classes until your test scores are posted, from 24-48 hours after completing the test.
- Results are available immediately after you complete the test.
After you receive your Accuplacer results:
- Review this placement chart (PDF) to find the math and English courses you need to take.
- Review these flow charts to see the sequence of Math (PDF) and English (PDF) courses needed for your degree.
You may not have to take the Accuplacer test if:
- You took the Accuplacer at another college or university
- Request that institution to send your scores to email@example.com or fax them to 801-957-4750.
- You're transferring to SLCC
- Visit Transcript Evaluation to learn how to have prior credits evaluated.
- You've taken the ACT or SAT within the last year to 18 months