Student Testing Services

Challenge Exams

You can take challenge exams to gain course credits at SLCC. The following exams are offered at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus Testing Center.

  • MATH 1010 Intermediate Algebra – 4 credits
  • MATH 1040 Introduction to Statistics – 3 credits
  • MATH 1050 College Algebra – 4 credits
  • MATH 1060 Trigonometry – 3 credits
  • MATH 1210 Calculus I – 4 credits
  • MATH 1220 Calculus II – 4 credits
  • CIS 1020 – Computer Essentials – 3 credits
  • ASL 1010 – Beginning American Sign Language I – 5 credits
  • ASL 1020 – Beginning American Sign Language II – 5 credits

Challenge Exam Guidelines

  • You do not need to schedule an appointment to take an exam. They're given on a walk-in basis, from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday in the Testing Center at Taylorsville Redwood Campus.
  • Each test has a different time limit and qualifying score. Call 801-957-4964 for information specific to your test.
  • Use of calculators varies by exam. Check the Guidelines (PDF) for your test.
  • Each Challenge Exam can be taken twice. The first attempt cost $50.00, paid in cash or check. You must wait 6 months to take an exam a second time, at a cost of $75.00.
  • You may not take the Challenge Exams if you have previously taken the course and received a grade of D- or higher. If you received an E or a W, you're eligible to take the challenge exam.
  • You will receive a P on your transcript if you pass. It will not affect your GPA. If you fail it will not show on your transcript.
  • You may not the Challenge Exam if you are currently enrolled in the course.
  • Individual departments also offer Challenge Exams. Contact the department that offers the exam you want to take.

American Sign Language

You may challenge the beginning American Sign Language courses, ASL 1010 and ASL 1020. For more information, visit the American Sign Language & Interpreting website, or call ASLI Lab Coordinator at 801-957-4929 or email

Prepare for Math Challenge Exams

SLCC's videos of final exam reviews

University of Utah's Math lectures

CIS 1020 Challenge Exam

To take a challenge exam for CIS 1020, call 801-957-4572.

Visit CIS 1020 Challenge Exam to learn more.

Foreign Language

You can gain foreign language credits by taking proficiency tests offered at the Brigham Young University. Visit Experiential Language Credit to learn more.

In addition, you may be able to skip prerequisite courses and take LANG 2010 or LANG 2020 to fulfill your SLCC Associate of Arts language requirement. Call 801-957-4338 or email for more information.

Passing LANG 3060 at the University of Utah with a C- or better also fulfills your AA language requirement.