You can take challenge exams to gain course credits at SLCC. The following exams are offered at the Taylorsville Redwood Campus Testing Center.
- You may not take the Challenge Exams if you have previously taken the course and received a grade of D- or higher. If you received an E or a W, you're eligible to take the challenge exam.
- You will receive a P on your transcript if you pass. It will not affect your GPA. If you fail it will not show on your transcript.
- You may not take the Challenge Exam if you are currently enrolled in the course.
- Individual departments also offer Challenge Exams. Contact the department that offers the exam you want to take.
- Each test has a different time limit and qualifying score. Call 801-957-4964 for information specific to your test.
- Each Challenge Exam can be taken twice unless the department has a different rule. The first attempt costs $50.00, paid in cash or check. You must wait 6 months to take an exam a second time, at a cost of $75.00. Some departments may require an additional fee to be paid to the department.
Math Challenge Exams
Beginning February 1, 2016, Math challenge tests for 1010, 1050, 1060, 1080 and 1210 will be discontinued. The challenge tests will be replaced with CLEP mathematics tests.
The CLEP tests will give credit for math classes as follows:
- College Mathematics CLEP will give Math 1010 credit.
- College Algebra CLEP will give Math 1050 credit.
- Pre-Calculus CLEP will give either Math 1060 or Math 1080 credit, depending on student’s course of study.
- Calculus CLEP will give Math 1210 credit.
Visit Testing Services CLEP to learn more.
Math 1040 Challenge Exam
MATH 1040 — 3 credits
Testing Services will continue to administer the MATH 1040 challenge test.
- This test consists of 2 parts, with 2 hours allowed for each part. In between the two sections, the student may take no more than a 15 minute break.
- A scientific calculator is allowed for the test. Graphing calculators are not allowed.
- You do not need to schedule an appointment to take a MATH 1040 exam. It’s given on a walk-in basis, from 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 8 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Friday, as there must be time to finish the test before the office closes.
- Students must achieve a 75% in order to pass.
- Results may take up to two weeks.
CIS 1020 Challenge Exam
CIS 1020 – Computer Essentials – 3 credits
This test is not offered on a walk-in basis. To take this 4-hour exam, you must first pay $50 (cash or check only) to the Testing Center, and fill out a registration form. Then see or call Bernadette at 801-957-4572 to schedule an appointment. Call for more information.
Visit CIS 1020 Challenge Exam to learn more.
You can gain foreign language credits by taking proficiency tests offered at Brigham Young University. Visit Experiential Language Credit to learn more.
In addition, you may be able to skip prerequisite courses and take LANG 2010 or LANG 2020 to fulfill your SLCC Associate of Arts language requirement. Call 801-957-4338 or email Sarah.Southam@slcc.edu for more information.
Passing LANG 3060 at the University of Utah with a C- or better also fulfills your AA language requirement.