The America Reads program hires enough qualified SLCC students to meet the literacy needs of our community partner elementary schools. SLCC students have a rewarding, community-based option through which to earn their federal work-study award.
America Reads was established as a national literacy tutoring program in 1993. We provide training and a high-quality mentoring experience, enriching learning opportunities for both SLCC students and elementary school students.
After filing your FAFSA, you must be awarded Federal Work-study in order to apply to be an America Reads Work-study Tutor. Earn your Federal work-study award at $10.00 to $13.00 an hour - become a literacy tutor with America Reads!
Students interested in being an America Reads Tutor and who do not have work-study may volunteer as an America Reads Volunteer Tutor.
* New and returning tutors must attend one orientation in order to become an America Reads tutor *
How to apply
SLCC Financial Aid Office - to apply for the America Reads Work-study Tutor position, you must have been awarded federal work-study through your FAFSA and SLCC Financial Aid application paperwork for Salt Lake Community College for the current academic year.
America Reads Orientations - All students interested in becoming an America Reads Work-study or Volunteer Tutor must attend one orientation. At the orientation you will learn everything you need to know to become a successful America Reads tutor.
America Reads Training Opportunities
America Reads Community Partners
What tutors are saying about America Reads:
- “If it weren’t for me, the child I work with would fall through the cracks. I do make a difference.”
- “My tutoring experience led me to become an elementary education major. It’s fun getting to know the kids and knowing they appreciate my help in their classroom.”
- “The child I work with only knew three letters of the alphabet when I first started working with him. He now knows 23!”
- Thayne Center Volunteer Opportunities Blog
- Thayne Center Community Partner Database
- 211 Information & Referral