Visual Art and Design
2014 SkillsUSA Contests
ARE HAPPENING RIGHT NOW
ENTRY FORMS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 14, 2014 by 11:59 PM
STUDENTS MAY COMPETE IN ONE OR MORE OF THE FOLLOWING CONTESTS:
|3D Animation & Visualization||
|Advertising Design||Screen Printing|
|Commercial Photography||Web Design|
Three contestants or teams (Web Design, & 3D Animation contestants work in pairs) from each contest area will be selected to compete with other Utah college entrants to create hands-on, real life design projects. The completed projects will then be judged by a panel of working professionals from the art community at
The Utah State SkillsUSA contests to be held at SLCC on March 27-28, 2014
NOTE: the Web Design, & 3D Animation contestants work in teams of two. If you plan to enter either of these contests, you need to find another student to work on a team with you. If you need help finding a teammate, please talk to Chad Erekson/3D Animation, or Andrew Wilson/Web Design.
First place winners at the State Competition will be flown to Kansas City, Missouri to compete in the National SkillsUSA contests
June 23-28, 2014. (95% of EXPENSES PAID!)
ALL ELIGIBLE UTAH STATE WINNERS will receive a Tuition Waver Scholarship
- First Place – 2 semester tuition waiver (summer semester does not apply)
- Second Place – 1 semester tuition waiver
- Third Place – ½ semester tuition waiver
To Enter the 2014 SkillsUSA Contest
- Create and upload your best work to a personal website, ePortfiolo, or blog
If you don’t already have an online site where you can display your artwork, you need to create one. If you have created a General Education ePortfolio in one of your classes, just make a new page there, to display your work. If you need to start from scratch there are several free and easy website creation and hosting services available to you. Here is a list of just a few.
Links to Video Tutorials for Weebly, Google Sites, & WordPress
Google Sites https://sites.google.com/site/slcceport/
There are many other free web hosting sites that could be used
Upload and display your best work for the judges to see. Much of your artwork is probably already in digital form ready for upload to your website. If you have pieces done in traditional media, such as charcoal or acrylics, you must photograph or scan the work before uploading. If you are submitting motion media, you could first upload the video to YouTube and then embed it into your website. Descriptions should be placed near (under) the artwork on the webpage where the work is displayed. You should list the size, media used and any other information about the piece that will help the judges.
2. Complete the online 2013 Regional SkillsUSA Entry Form
Go to the VAD Website www.slcc.edu/visualart/skillsusa.aspx and complete and submit the form.
Answer all of the questions and submit the URL of your Website, ePortfolio, or blog in the appropriate box.
ENTRY FORMS ARE DUE FEBRUARY 14, 2013 by 11:59 PM
Contact the following Instructors if you have questions
- Advertising Design: Lana Gruendell firstname.lastname@example.org, 801.957.3476
- Commercial Photography: Whitney King-Hyans email@example.com , Ed Rosenberger Ed.firstname.lastname@example.org
- 3D Animation & Visualization: Chad Erekson email@example.com, or Neal Reiland firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graphic Communications, & Screen Printing Jessica Curran Jessica.email@example.com
- Web Design: Andrew Wilson: Andrew.firstname.lastname@example.org