Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Pharmacy Technician Information

A Pharmacy Technician is a person who, under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist, assists in various activities of a pharmacy.

Typical duties include:

  • Maintaining patient records
  • Mixing drugs with parental fluids
  • Maintaining inventories of supplies
  • Responding to questions and requests
  • Packaging and labeling medication doses
  • Filing and distributing routine orders for stock supplies

For a more comprehensive description, visit O*NET OnLine.

A Pharmacy Technician typically works in hospitals, clinics, home health care operations, retail, and other settings.



The salary range typically starts at approximately $14.50 to $18/hour along the Wasatch Front. Visit these links for more detailed information:

Graduation from the SLCC Pharmacy Technician Training program does not guarantee the ability to obtain a license to practice as a pharmacy technician in Utah.  Licensure is the exclusive right and responsibility of each state.  In order to practice this profession in Utah, students must satisfy the state requirements of completion of an ASHP accredited training program and pass one of two National Certification examinations (PTCE or ExCPT), independent of SLCC graduation requirements. 

Specific questions regarding eligibility for licensure should be addressed to DOPL at 801-530-6628.  If students plan to practice as a pharmacy technician in another state. Verify specific state requirements.

The job demand at this time is quite good. There is a need for technicians wherever pharmacists work. Visit these links for official projections:


Please see the School of Health Sciences Application Submission Dates for current submission dates.

A new cohort of 30 students begins each spring and fall semester.


The tuition cost per credit hour will change based on a student's residency status, and on the total number of hours taken in a semester.
The amounts below reflect Utah State resident rates for Summer 2017-2018, and include program fees. * Tuition and fees subject to change without notice.
Check for the current tuition rates.



Tuition & Fees




this does include the cost of MA 1100









Yes. Additional expenses include, but are not limited to:

  • Enrollment fees
  • Books
  • Background checks
  • National testing
  • DOPL trainee application fee
  • DOPL licensure application fee

This is a one-year program consisting of three consecutive semesters totally 31 credit hours.

MA 1100 and PHAR 1010 have offerings online.

Daytime cohorts meet 7 a.m. - 5 p.m., usually one day a week, starting Spring semesters. 

Evening cohorts meet 5:00 - 9:30 p.m.3-4 evenings per week, starting Fall semesters. 

No. All classes must be taken in order and the program completed on-time.

Utah state law requires 180 hours of on-the-job training in a pharmacy. The program places students in an externship position with a local pharmacy to start and complete during the third semester.

Students are responsible for scheduling externship hours directly with the pharmacy assigned.

The requirements for obtaining a certificate may change without notice, but currently include:

  • Receive a grade of C or better in each class
  • Submit to and pass random drug screening
  • Comply with any DOPL requirements in a timely manner
  • Complete an exit survey
  • Make final payments to the school
  • Complete all requested paperwork

Not through this program. The rules regarding licensure are set by DOPL. SLCC can only offer the program as prescribed. No exceptions.

All questions about special circumstances should be directed to DOPL.

No. Securing employment is the responsibility of the student. However, the school has great services to help with job placement, including:

  • Maintaining jobs lists
  • Resume reviews
  • Mock interviews

Visit the Office of Career Services for more information or call (801) 957-4606.

The refund policy follows the College's Academic Calendar.

Financial Aid

The Pharmacy Technician Program is eligible for traditional federal financial aid such as student loans or Pell grants. There may be other agencies, such as Vocational Rehab or Workforce Services, who may provide financial assistance. You may contact them directly to determine what is available.