Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Yes, you can. Admission to Salt Lake Community College is open to all members of the community regardless of residency status or citizenship. For more information, please see the Apply for Admissions webpage.

To see if you are eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival or DACA consideration, please refer to the Department of Homeland Security website for the requirements.

No, only Utah residents and U.S. permanent residents/citizens qualify for the SLCC tuition waivers since these are provided through Utah legislation.


  1. Our SLCC Financial Aid Office home page lists SLCC Scholarships and Tuition Waivers and non-SLCC Scholarships. Those waivers and scholarships that are awarded through SLCC have a legal residency requirement. Those listed as non-SLCC scholarships may have no legal residency requirement.
  2. A list of scholarships available for HB144, DACA, and students not eligible for federal financial aid can be found at Scholarships. Please note that each scholarship will have its own set of eligibility criteria.

In order to qualify for the in-state tuition rate, you will need to complete the “HB 144” Residency application. For more information about HB 144, please see our Paying for College page or download an Affidavit/Application for Exemption, complete the form, and submit both the form and a copy of your official high school transcripts to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records.

Students who do not meet the HB 144 (Affidavit Application for Exemption) criteria can attend our Summer Semester sessions when everyone, regardless of residency status, pays the in-state tuition rate.

Yes, only if you have qualified to be a DACA student. There are no restrictions as long as you have a work permit and a Social Security number.

For more information about on-campus employment:

You are free to choose whichever major or field of study you want. Salt Lake Community College does not prohibit anyone from taking any course based on their residency status. Please note, there are certain career choices that require licensures and certifications that have state or national residency requirements. For more information, please refer to our Career Advising for Undocumented Students section.

Yes! There are no restrictions on your participation in such activities. Some of these opportunities have certain benefits (such as tuition waivers) that will not be available to undocumented students. For more information on joining clubs or being active on campus, please visit the Student Life & Leadership offices.

Please note that you should consider renewing your status BEFORE it expires! The process may take several months so it is suggested you begin the process early. You can find information about the DACA status renewal process by going to: US. Citizenship and Immigration Services.

No. Social Security and Driver License numbers given to you through DACA are for work purposes only. You cannot use these numbers to apply for federal student aid or to establish residency for tuition purposes. DACA students must complete HB 144 to qualify for the in-state tuition rate. See HB 144 Explanation.

Salt Lake Community College offers all students a wealth of information. If there is something you want to know that was not covered here, feel free to look through our A-Z index or other departments and resources such as Career Services, Diversity and Multicultural Affairs and Future Students.

If you need more assistance, please contact the SLCC staff listed on our Staff Directory for Undocumented Students.