Salt Lake Community College and National Alliance of Concurrent Enrollment Partnerships (NACEP) standards require concurrent enrollment high school adjunct teachers to attend two hours of discipline specific professional development training delivered by or approved by their assigned liaison each year.
Providing Professional Development
Below are some options a liaison may consider to ensure that his or her adjunct teachers receive the appropriate training.
- Group Professional Development: A liaison may schedule a a two hour block of time to conduct professional development training for his or her teachers at any one of the SLCC campuses or at another location.
- One-On-One Professional Development: For liaisons who are assigned to work with only a couple of teachers and where it is impractical to host a group meeting, a liaison may choose to meet one-on-one with the adjunct teacher for at least two hours to review curriculum standards, provide training related to the course, etc.
- Other Professional Development: A liaison may approve or invite an adjunct teacher to attend a discipline-related conference or workshop conducted by a professional organization or an academic department sponsored professional development training to count as that adjunct teacher’s two hours of professional development.
- New Teacher Professional Development: When a new concurrent enrollment adjunct teacher begins teaching for SLCC it can be helpful for the liaison to visit that teacher before the school year begins to provide specialized training on that particular course so that the instructor is up to speed on curriculum and departmental requirement for that particular course. This does not necessarily count toward the 2 hours of required training for that CE adjunct teacher, unless the liaison determines that it would be appropriate to do so.
Tracking Professional Development
The liaison is responsible for tracking CE high school adjunct teacher participation in the required two hours of professional development training and then reporting that information to the CE office through MyCE. Below are some ways this can be done.
- Group Professional Development: The liaison completes the CE Liaison Project form, takes roll and uploads the roll and an agenda or outline to MyCE. To be paid for preparing and/or delivering this type of professional development the training must be developed by and/or provided by the liaison for the concurrent enrollment adjunct teachers. If the liaison is providing PD for SLCC adjuncts and invites concurrent enrollment adjuncts to attend, this work will be paid by and should be coordinated through the SLCC academic department.
- One-On-One Professional Development: To be paid for preparing and/or delivering this type of professional development a liaison must complete the Liaison Project form and the training must be developed by and/or provided by the liaison for the concurrent enrollment adjunct teachers. The liaison is also required to submit an outline or simple explanation of content discussed during the one on one through MyCE.
- Other Professional Development: When the CE high school adjunct teacher has completed the two hours of professional development and reported this information to the liaison, the liaison will enter that information in MyCE and upload any supporting documentation. The liaison should submit the date of completion, an agenda or schedule for the workshop or conference and a simple explanation of the training.
- New Teacher Professional Development: Liaisons submit a simple agenda or outline of topics addressed with the completed Liaison Project form.