What is Biotechnology?
The use of biological materials (such as cells, DNA, or proteins) to solve problems and make life better. Biotechnology…
- HEALS through the development of medicines, vaccines, rapid diagnostic tests, and personalized medicine.
- FUELS the economy through the development of renewable biofuels and innovative products like energy-saving low temperature detergents, pollution-eating bacteria, and biodegradable plastics.
- FEEDS the growing population by making crops resistant to pests and diseases, increasing yields, decreasing spoilage, and making food more nutritious.
Students gain skills in...
- DNA manipulation and analysis
- Expression and purification of proteins
- Cell culture
- Enzyme and antibody assays
- Critical thinking and problem solving
Students interested in the Biotechnology Program may have...
- A love of science
- An inquisitive mind and logical thinking
- A desire to solve problems