You can earn credits at SLCC by taking College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams to test your knowledge in certain areas. SLCC accepts eight CLEP exams.
- College Composition — 3 credits for English 1010, 3 elective credits
- Natural Sciences — 3 credits in Physical Science, 3 credits in Biological Science
- Humanities — 3 credits for HUMA 1010
- Social Science/History — 3 credits of HIST 1700, 3 credits in Social Science
Math Challenge/CLEP Exams
Beginning February 1, 2016, Math challenge tests for 1010, 1050, 1060, 1080 and 1210 will be discontinued. The challenge tests will be replaced with CLEP mathematics tests.
The CLEP tests will give credit for math classes as follows:
- College Mathematics CLEP will give Math 1010 credit.
- College Algebra CLEP will give Math 1050 credit.
- Pre-Calculus CLEP will give either Math 1060 or Math 1080 credit, depending on student’s course of study.
- Calculus CLEP will give Math 1210 credit.
Study guides for the eight exams are available for $3 each (cash or check) at Testing Services, Construction Trade Building (CT) 033.
You can take any of the other 25 CLEP exams at SLCC for credit at other schools. Be sure your school accepts the exam credit before you schedule an exam with us.
To take a CLEP exam at SLCC
- Make an appointment with our Testing Center. Proctored tests are given from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesdays. Call at 801-957-4572 to schedule an appointment.
- Pre-register for the exam with CLEP and pay $80, and bring your Confirmation Ticket the day of the exam, as well as a valid, government-issued photo ID.
- If you’re a minor and don’t have government-issued ID, you will have to use the College Board Student ID Form. Visit CLEP Exam or contact CLEP at 800-257-9558 or 609-771-7865 for more information.
- Pay $25 to the Testing Center by cash or check.
Other CLEP Facts
- You have two hours to take the College Composition exam and an hour and a half for each of the other exams.
- Each CLEP exam totals 80 points and SLCC requires a score of 50 to pass.
- You cannot take a CLEP exam if you’ve taken that class and received a C or higher.
- If you fail the CLEP exam, you must wait 3 months before you can retake it.
- You must fill out a form when you finish the exam to receive results that day.
- Official results of each CLEP exam will be sent to you and your school, and take four to six weeks to appear on your transcript.
- At SLCC, accepted CLEP subjects will become part of your academic history and will not affect your GPA.