Veterans Services

Out-Of-State Veterans and Family Members* Now Pay In-State Tuition

No matter what state you are from and no matter how long you have been out of the military, Veterans now receive residency for your SLCC education.

The Utah Legislature passed House Bill R124 granting in-state tuition to Veterans and their families who take steps to establish Utah residency (effective May 2014).

*Family members will also receive residency up to the first 5 years after service member’s discharge.

R512.6. Military Service Exception to Establishing Resident Student Status 

An institution within the State USHE system of Higher Education shall grant resident student status for tuition purposes to a military veteran and the military veteran’s immediate family members who reside in the state if the military veteran provides:

  •      Evidence of a discharge from the United States Armed Forces (DD-214), other than a dishonorable discharge.
  •      A signed written declaration that the military veteran has relinquished residency in any other state and does not maintain a residence elsewhere; and 
  •      Objective evidence that the military veteran has taken overt steps to relinquish residency in any other state and establish residency in Utah, which may include evidence of the following: 
    • Utah voter registration card
    • Utah driver license or identification card
    • Utah vehicle registration
    • Evidence of employment in Utah
    • Rental agreement showing name and Utah address
    • Utility bills showing name and Utah address

Students who feel they meet the requirements to be classified as a resident may appeal their nonresident status by filling out an Application for Residency Classification. This online form is accessed via the student’s MyPage account, where it can be found near the bottom of the MyPage tab on the left-hand side.  Please submit the following documentation to the Office of the Registrar and Academic Records after completing your application for residency status:

  1. DD-214
  2. Utah Driver License
  3. Utah Car Registration
  4. Any of the other documentation listed above  

The law requires you to change your Driver License and Car Registration when moving to a new state. Completing these steps shows you have relinquished residency in another state.

Yellow Ribbon waivers will no longer be needed based on the change in Utah Military Residency law.