The Chemistry Department offers a program leading to an Associate of Science degree. Required courses and laboratory instruction in this program provides the student the first two years of chemistry and related courses required for admission to baccalaureate major programs. Program also provides a solid foundation in chemistry necessary for admission to professional programs and for employment in chemistry-related areas.
Chemistry is also a discipline essential to training for many pre-professional fields as well as health sciences. All classes are transferable to other schools in the state system of higher education and most other universities and colleges. Chemistry classes are offered at four levels:
- General one-semester survey class; fulfills General Education requirements for non-technical student
- A two-semester health science series of inorganic, organic and biochemistry
- A two-semester series of pre-engineering/pre-professional general inorganic chemistry
- A two-semester series of organic chemistry. A preparatory class (CHEM 1100) is available to students with no previous courses in chemistry.
ARE YOU TRANSFERRING TO SLCC?
Prerequisites must be satisfied before a designated class may be taken. For prerequisites completed at another institution, students must transfer the coursework for the prerequisite to be posted to their academic record at SLCC.
Students may be required to take the Accuplacer for placement into math, English, or any course listing a test score prerequisite for math, reading and/or English. For further information regarding testing, please visit the SLCC Testing (slcc.edu/testing/index.aspx)
In order to meet a course prerequisite requirement, the course or test score must be part of student’s academic record/history at SLCC and must meet minimum grade (or test score) requirements.
For an evaluation of transcripts, students must have applied to SLCC, submitted official transcripts and a Request for Transcript Evaluation form
Submit the form ONLY ONCE. The Transfer Evaluation Office will notify students via e-mail if clarification or an additional form is required.
Transcript evaluations are completed in the order that ALL official documentation is received. The process can take between 4-6 weeks during peak registration periods. Students are advised to plan accordingly and read instructions carefully.
To Review Transcript Evaluation Status:
- Log in to your MySLCC account
- Click on the Student tab.
- Under Student Records, select Academic Transcript to view your complete transcript.
- Courses with a grade of TR are transfer credit.