School of Humanities and Social Sciences
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences, one of the largest and most diverse Schools at SLCC, prepares students not only for meaningful jobs and careers but also to flourish intellectually and as human beings. We seek to produce world citizens who understand global issues and have the motivation to do something about them, and who can engage in substantial dialogue across cultural boundaries. Critical thinking informs the spirit of our School’s pedagogy, and we strive for an open environment where students see themselves as active learners who take responsibility for their own learning.
The School is comprised of five departments:
- Humanities, Language and Culture, and American Sign Language/Interpreting;
- History, Political Science, and Anthropology;
- Psychology and Sociology;
- Family and Human Studies, Education, and Social Work.
These departments oversee fourteen disciplines as well, which include:
- The Eccles Early Childhood Development Lab School
- The Center for Languages
- The Student Writing Center
- The Community Writing Center
- The Publication Center
- The Academic Literacy Center
- Folio literary magazine