Skip to main content

Current Student


Residency for In-State Tuition Rates at SLCC

Your residency status is declared during the admission process. If you meet residency requirements listed below, you may submit an application for resident reclassification and provide supporting documentation to the Admissions Office.

Residency Requirements

To qualify for resident student status, you must be designated a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and meet all of the following requirements:

  1. Live in Utah for twelve continuous months prior to the first day of class.
    You may not leave the state for more than 30 days during this 12-month period. Residency verification can include rental contracts, mortgage documentation, pay stubs or utility bills (one for each month), or a letter from a Utah employer verifying your physical work presence in Utah. The letter must be on company letterhead and dated, and list your employment starting and ending dates (if applicable), and be signed by a company official. It should include your name and Utah address.
  2. Be financially independent, or claimed as a dependent for tax purposes by a Utah resident.
    Verification includes the first two pages of your most recent federal tax return (Form 1040) and Utah state tax return (Form TC-40). If you're single, 24 or younger, and did not file a federal tax return, you must provide a copy of your parents' most recent federal tax return/s and Utah state tax return/s. You may block out amounts and your parents social security numbers, but leave yours visible.
  3. Take steps to become a Utah resident and relinquish residency in any other state.
    You can verify this by providing a current Utah driver's license and vehicle registration, prior to the first day of class for the semester in which you seek residency.

Applying for Residency

Before applying to change your residency status to in-state, you must set up your MySLCC account and complete an admission application

If you believe you meet the requirements to be classified as a resident, you may appeal nonresident status by filling out an Application For Residency Classification.

To access this online form log in to your account in:

  • MySLCC
  • Academics & Records
  • Residency Classification
  • Application for Residency Classification

Fill out the form and submit all requested documentation to the Admissions Office

Residency Deadlines

Residency application deadline for Fall 2017: August 30, 2017.

Applications received after this date will be processed for the next term.

All students pay resident tuition during summer semesters.

Residency Exemptions

You may qualify for in-state tuition rates even if you haven't lived in Utah for the last 12 months. One of the following exemptions must apply:

  • I'm a Utah resident returning from temporary religious or charitable service.
  • I'm a Utah resident who was away for higher education reasons. You must provide verification of nonresident student status at an out-of-state college or university.
  • I have long-term ties to Utah: I graduated from a Utah high school and have been absent from Utah less than 12 months and have not established residency in another state.
  • I married a Utah resident.
  • I work full time in Utah due to a permanent job transfer or recruitment. You must be employed at least four months prior to admission at SLCC, and remain employed full-time while attending classes.
  • My spouse or parent/s work full-time in Utah due to a permanent job transfer or recruitment.
  • I'm a Utah resident returning from active duty military service or deployment outside of Utah (see info below).
  • I'm a military veteran, or an immediate family member is a veteran, discharged from active duty. The discharge cannot be dishonorable (see info below).
  • I'm active duty military or a member of a reserve component, and I'm a resident of another state but assigned to active duty in Utah (see info below).
  • I have an immediate family member who is active duty military or a member of a reserve component, who resides in another state but is assigned to active duty in Utah (see info below).
  • I'm a member of the Utah National Guard (see info below).
  • I'm a recipient of educational benefits (full tuition and fees) from a Utah social services agency.
  • I'm an immigrant placed in Utah as a political refugee.
  • I'm a registered member of a Native American/American Indian tribe. Not all tribes qualify. For more information, view the Resident Status policy R512.
  • I'm a participant in the Olympic training program.
  • I'm a Job Corps student.
  • There are extenuating circumstances. Call 801-957-4073 for more information.

Residency Exceptions for Veterans and Dependents

Utah State Residency Requirements:

  • Active duty military personnel and immediate family members or members of a reserve component who are residents of other states but assigned to active duty service in Utah.
  • Members of the Utah National Guard
  • Veterans and immediate family members discharged from active duty military service.

Federal Non-Resident Waiver Requirements:

Please see Options for Residency or Residency waiver classification for more information.

The Utah Legislature and Utah Board of Regents set residency guidelines for all schools in the Utah System of Higher Education. For more information, view the Board of Regents' Resident Status policy R512.