Skip to main content

Policies in Utah

The Utah legislature has passed several laws that affect access to higher education for a variety of immigrant populations. Below is information about these policies and how departments across SLCC are working to implement them to better support students.

Note: The information provided on this website does not and is not intended to constitute as legal advice. All information, content, and materials available on this site are for general informational purposes only and you help you interpret if you are eligible for any of these policies as you start your academic journey.

H.B. 144 - Exemption from Non-Resident Tuition

H.B. 118 - Residency Requirements for In-State Tuition

H.B. 144 and H.B. 118 provide a pathway for a student to apply for in-state tuition when they:

  • attended a Utah high school for at least 3 years and
  • graduated with a Utah high school diploma or equivalent.

To apply, students must complete the HB 144 Affidavit (submit via Etrieve using their MySLCC account) and provide a copy of their high school transcripts (demonstrating 3 years of attendance and graduation) to the Admissions Office. On MySLCC, students will search for the Application for Residency Classification.

For questions about HB 144 or HB 118, contact Abbey Malichanh, Residency Specialist, at 801-957-4485 or

Also known as S.B. 253 - Exception for Privately Funded Scholarships

Students who have graduated from a Utah high school with a diploma are eligible to apply for private scholarships offered by public Utah colleges and universities. In this case, Salt Lake Community College.

Regardless of your eligibility, ALL students can search for scholarships using Scholarship Universe and you will be matched with scholarship opportunities based on your responses. Visit the Scholarships & Tuition Waivers for more information and tips on how to apply.

Also known as S.B. 136 - Higher Education Scholarships Amendments

Students who have graduated from a Utah high school qualify for some state-funded scholarships administered by the Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) and Utah public colleges and universities. The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office at SLCC is reviewing all institutionally administered state-funded scholarships to adjust eligibility requirements to be more inclusive.

Currently, undocumented and international students (who meet the above criteria) can apply for the 2023 - 2024 Thayne Center Peer Leader Application on SLCC Campus Groups if they:

  • Have a 2.0 Minimum GPA
  • Enroll in at least 9 credit hours for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024
  • Dedicate 8-10 hours a week to this role

Students who are recruited as peer leaders will work closely with the Thayne Center and may be eligible for what is called the Presidential Leadership Tuition Waiver, where all positions receive the equivalent of an in-state tuition waiver. Receiving this funding is dependent on a variety of factors and is determined on a case-by-case basis.

For questions regarding the Peer Leader position, contact Jose Rodriguez Hernandez at

Also known as H.B. 102 - Higher Education Residency Amendments

Provides a pathway for a student to apply for in-state tuition when they have been:

  • granted a special immigrant visa;
  • granted refugee status or submitted in good faith an application for refugee status;
  • granted humanitarian parole or submitted in good faith an application for humanitarian parole;
  • granted temporary protected status or submitted in good faith an application for temporary protected status; or
  • granted asylum status or submitted in good faith an application for asylum status.
  • Eligible students may qualify for in-state tuition under the same criteria applicable to U.S. Citizens.

Students on visitor, student, or other visas which authorize only temporary presence in the country (that are not listed above) are not considered eligible for this exemption.

In addition to providing documentation of being granted or having submitted in good faith an application for adjustment of status, applicants must provide documentation showing they have met the residency requirement of living in the state of Utah for 12 months or qualify under another residency exception and provide additional required documentation by the deadline. Required documentation includes a rental agreement, car registration, Drivers License, or tax return established in Utah and what is requested for consideration will depend on each individual case.

The Admissions Office at SLCC is working to create and implement a process where students can apply for this in-state tuition exemption for Fall 2023 through Etrieve. Although the law took effect in May, everyone pays the in-tuition rate during the Summer.

For questions about the eligibility requirements for H.B. 102 or to apply, contact Abbey Malichanh, Residency Specialist, at 801-957-4485 or