Skip to main content

What is General Education?

General Education is the part of a college curriculum shared by all students seeking a degree. It provides broad exposure to multiple disciplines and forms the basis for developing important intellectual and civic capacities. If you are intending to transfer, we strongly encourage you to complete your General Education Certificate of Completion (i.e., your AS or AA General Education requirements) at SLCC because that transfers as a package to any public 4-year college and university in Utah. If you are majoring in an AAS program, there are specific General Education requirements for AAS programs.

Students: How Should You Approach General Education?

  • General Education is not a random series of courses that you take to “get out of the way” so you can start your major.
  • As you take General Education courses, think to yourself that you are building an essential foundation to your future success in higher education, in the workplace, and as a citizen in a democratic republic.
  • Use your ePortfolio to document the building of your unique educational foundation by archiving significant work that you’ve done, and reflecting deeply on that work.
  • Consider how all of your General Education courses have a common purpose: they are separately helping you achieve essential learning outcomes.
  • Even though you have many General Education courses from which to choose, think about how they are integrated with each other into a coherent experience of your own creation.

To view or print the General Education block for the AS, AA, or Certificate of Completion, please click here.