Transfer Guidelines

SLCC accepts college level credit in transfer from colleges and universities accredited by any of the six regional accreditation bodies:

  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • New England Association of Colleges and Schools
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Western Association of Colleges and Schools

(Exceptions to this rule are sometimes made by academic programs for credit applied to that specific program.)

Grades in individual classes must be C- or higher to be eligible for transfer credit, except in cases where a grade of C or above is required at SLCC as a prerequisite.

Courses must be college level (rather than remedial or developmental). At Utah institutions, this usually means courses numbered 1000 or above.

Course must be designated as "general education" by the issuing institution or by SLCC, or meet program requirements.

Due to the age of coursework, some credit may only transfer as elective credit. Course credit awarded is dependent on applicability and/or academic department discretion.

Religion courses which advocate the doctrine of a particular sect or denomination will not be accepted.

To be eligible for graduation from SLCC, students must take 25% of required coursework/credits directly from Salt Lake Community College.

Follow General Transfer Guidelines.

When applying to SLCC, select Pre-Health Sciences as your Program of Study.

For Pre-Health Sciences programs, the Transfer Evaluation Office evaluates credits that meet program prerequisites and General Education-related courses.

Students must meet prerequisite and minimum grade requirements to be admitted into a Health Sciences program. For further information on what the requirements are, please see the admission policies of your preferred program in the School of Health Sciences.

In addition, please be aware of Health Sciences Admission deadlines and requirements.

Follow General Transfer Guidelines.

Veteran students are required to have all prior college transcripts evaluated to be eligible for VA benefits, and must be matriculated (degree-seeking) students.

For Basic Training, we award 1 credit hour in HLAC (Lifetime Wellness), which fulfills a general education requirement. Additional general elective credit may be awarded for any other recommendations listed as part of Basic Training (i.e., First Aid, Marksmanship, etc.). If you are submitting a JST transcript that documents Basic Training, it is not necessary to submit a DD-214.

JST (Army, Navy, Marine, Coast Guard)

  • SLCC primarily evaluates Military Courses only.
  • SLCC honors each ACE credit hour recommendation as an equivalent to one semester hour.
  • SLCC accept coursework for levels L and U.

Vocational elective credit is awarded for all other ACE credit recommendations that are not related to the student's Program of Study.

If there is credit related to the student's Program of Study, the transcript is forwarded to the appropriate academic department for review.

MOS credit is only reviewed if it is applicable to the student's Program of Study; otherwise, no credit is awarded.

To order prior military-related transcripts:

Concurrent Enrollment

If you completed concurrent enrollment courses at SLCC, the credit is part of your academic history at SLCC and does not need to be transferred. If SLCC concurrent coursework is missing from your transcript, please contact Concurrent Enrollment or your high school.

If you completed concurrent enrollment courses at another college or university, follow General Transfer Guidelines.

Advanced Placement (AP)

For AP Exam Credit to be awarded, students must be currently matriculated (degree seeking) at SLCC.

Official results must be sent directly from College Board to SLCC Office of the Registrar and Academic Records. If you have an original, sealed copy of your AP exam scores, you can submit them in person to SLCC.

If you are pursuing an associate's degree at SLCC, it is highly recommended that SLCC is listed as the initial college recipient of your AP exam scores.

If SLCC was not listed as a score recipient when you took the AP exam, you must order an official AP Score Report. Please contact AP Score Reporting Services at 888-225-5427.

SLCC College Board Code: 4864

See College Board for more information.

SLCC does not accept AP scores reported through a high school or previous college transcript.

AP scores must be a score of 3 or higher for credit to be awarded at SLCC.

AP credit is posted in the order it is received, similar to any other college or university transcript received. Therefore, please plan ahead if you need AP credit posted to meet a transcript or application deadline.

For a complete listing of AP exam credit equivalencies, see the AP chart (18-19), AP chart (19-20), AP chart (20-21), AP chart (21-22).

In order for students to receive credit for courses taken from other colleges or universities outside of the United States, a foreign transcript evaluation must be completed.
  • You must be a degree-seeking student at Salt Lake Community College (SLCC).
    • Credit is evaluated based upon a student’s Program of Study. Consult with an Academic Advisor if you are unclear about your educational goals at SLCC.
  • All foreign transcripts must be translated into English.
  • Must include a comprehensive report or course-by-course analysis.
  • Must be sent to SLCC in a sealed envelope by a Foreign Evaluation Service that is a member of NACES® National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
    • See suggested services below.
  • Complete a Request for Evaluation form.


Please note the following:

  1. For specific credit, students will need to provide additional information for credit consideration. This can be course syllabuses, course outlines or course descriptions from your prior institution. Information provided needs to be translated into English and from the time period you completed the coursework.
    1. Most courses that are not related to General Education, or fulfill Program Requirements, may count as elective credit only.
    2. Upper-level and graduate-level coursework is typically not applicable at SLCC and credit may not be awarded.
    3. Courses listed as less than 3 semester credit hours (or course required hours) may not meet course requirements even after departmental review.
  2. Students who have completed an equivalency to a Bachelor’s degree, or higher, may want to first contact a four-year college or university to check if they will accept your entire degree. On occasion, the four-year college or university may offer recommendations for courses that may be taken at SLCC to transfer back to their institution.
  3. Students with an equivalency to a Bachelor’s degree, or higher, are not eligible for Federal Financial Aid Pell Grants.


Suggested Services:

SpanTran Pathways - Salt Lake Community College

World Education Services (WES)


Printable International Transcripts Handout

Follow General Transfer Guidelines.

Based on Regent's policy R470. Transfer of Credit Policy 7.1.2. Transfer of Completed General Education Credits through Program Completion:

An AA or an AS degree earned at any USHE institution will meet the General Education requirements of any other USHE institution. If a student has completed all institutional General Education requirements, a Letter of Completion, General Education Certificate of Completion, issued by the sending institution that confirms such General Education completion should be accepted by the receiving USHE institution.

BA and BS degrees from USHE institutions will also satisfy General Education requirements at SLCC.

Degrees from non-USHE institutions will be subject to individual course evaluation for general education unless a prior agreement exists.

AAS degrees are evaluated course-by-course.

Graduate level coursework is not applicable to programs at SLCC and does not apply to General Education requirements.

Students with a prior degree are still required to meet individual course prerequisites regardless of the degree they have obtained. Like with any other student, the previous course(s) completed must be part of the student's academic record/history at SLCC and must meet minimum grade (or test score) requirements.

An official transcript must be received for evaluation. If a student received a Bachelor's degree in Physics from the University of Utah, but completed ENGL 1010 at Snow College and would like to take a course that has a “reading” prerequisite, the ENGL 1010 course from Snow needs to be documented and transferred. The degree from the University of Utah may not have any applicable credit.

Prerequisites: In order to meet a course prerequisite requirement, the course or test score must be part of the student's academic record/history at SLCC and must meet minimum grade (or test score) requirements. For prerequisites completed at another institution, students must transfer in the coursework for the prerequisite to be posted to their academic record at SLCC. In addition, it is the student's responsibility to examine each course description for details of prerequisite classes. Those prerequisites must be satisfied (math - within one year) before the designated class may be taken.

Students may be required to take the SLCC Placement for placement into math, English, or any course listing a test score prerequisite for math, reading and/or English. For further information regarding testing, please visit the SLCC Testing Center.

Transcripts are not fully evaluated for non-degree seeking students. Credit will only be posted for prerequisites listed on the Request for Evaluation form under “Prerequisites.”

It is important that students list the courses they would like to take at SLCC, not the course(s) they have previously taken.

The evaluation process time is the same for matriculated and non-matriculated students. No student population is advanced over another.

Non-degree seeking students may still need to take the SLCC Placement exam if they have not met prerequisite requirements, do not have the required minimum grade, or the prerequisite course was not completed in the past year (i.e. math).

Students who first apply as non-matriculated but are truly seeking a degree at SLCC may create a delay in future processes required at SLCC. Often times, students and staff end up having to do many things twice, which can be avoided if the student had applied correctly the first time.