Skip to main content


Faculty/Staff FAQ

Faculty may request in-class and virtual's  workshops by filling out our Workshop Request Form. Please provide at least 2 business days for a response and 2 weeks’ notice of the presentation.  Visit our Faculty Page for other resources.

Students will need to log into Handshake Jobs. From there students can search for on-campus, local or national jobs. Make sure students fill out their profile and take the survey to get the most accurate job listings.

There are four types of on-campus roles:

  • Campus Internship Program (requirements, see below for more information)
  • Internships
  • Student employment positions
  • Work-Study positions (requirements, see below for more information)

For work-study preferred or required roles- only students who have been awarded work-study through financial aid are qualified. Go here to learn about work-study.

Click here for the CIP website to look at eligility.



The Campus Internship Program (CIP) provides offices across SLCC the opportunity to partner with Career Services to create paid internships for SLCC students. The goal of CIP is to provide students with professional development, new learning opportunities, and career mentorship at any SLCC campus. Students are paid at $15.00 per hour and can work between 15-20 hours per week.  CIP is an opportunity for your office or academic department to benefit from the support of a student employee through peer-to-peer interactions, project-based support, or in other ways that allows the student to gain meaningful skills they can use to support their educational and career goals. 

Career Services supplies the funding for a department to have a CIP student. Funding is only provided for CIP. The funding comes from the Career Services office, though funding is limited. Please note work-study and CIP are not same program, they are two different funding sources. Career Services funding does not roll over and changes each year. There may be times that a department needs to go on a waitlist until funding is available.

You can hire a student who has work-study for CIP. What this means is the student would use their financial aid rather than CIP funding. Work-study is only acquired through financial aid and a student would of applied through FASFA during the FASFA application time frame. A student would of been granted fiancial aid and sent a letter regarding their aid. A student cannot apply for work-study without applying for FASFA. For more information on work-study please click here.


To request a CIP student you must first email April Teran to see if there is funding availability. If approved, your next steps are posting a CIP position in Handshake. Once approved, your posting will go live. Important FAQs on posting:

  • Do not post a position without requesting a student first.
  • Make sure you have a department employer account- do not join SLCC's exisiting account- you will be denied. Click here for instructions on how to create a seperate department in Handshake.
  • All postings in Handshake must have "CIP" in front of the internship title. Example: CIP Career Peer Mentor.
  • Handshake is new to SLCC. Pleae encourage students to log-into Handshake to find CIP roles.

Please click here to review the CIP Student Application. New supervisors will attend a scheduled CIP Orientation where we will review program requirements and processes.

Career Services is here to consult with you if you need support, guidance, or clarification regarding any details and responsibilities. Please contact April Teran at

Financial Aid oversees the entire work-study process. Career Services helps students use their work-study via jobs and internships.

The Federal Work-Study (FWS) Program provides part-time jobs for students with financial need to earn money to help pay education expenses. The program encourages community service work and employment opportunities related to your course of study. FWS jobs are available on campus, local elementary schools, and nonprofit organizations. Money from FWS is earned, so it does not have to be repaid. Students receive a paycheck like any other job.

A student is awarded FWS eligibility like other forms of financial aid. Students are required to submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to determine financial need. Students with financial need who indicate interest in FWS on the Student Information Form will receive a financial aid offer including FWS eligibility. A new FAFSA is required each academic year.

Students with financial need may be awarded FWS eligibility up to $6,000 for the academic year. That is the maximum amount you can earn through the Federal Work-Study program during that academic year. For those who have earned their maximum amount listed on the financial aid offer, you have three options. Employers have the option of either reaching out to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to determine whether the student has additional eligibility, hire you as an hourly employee, or terminate the position.

Paychecks are distributed twice a month. See the Payroll website for additional information related to paycheck timing and process.


Career Services supplies funding support ONLY for CIP.  Funding does not roll over and changes each year. There may be times that a department needs to go on a waitlist until funding is available.  Please note work-study is seperate from CIP and is only acquired through financial aid. A student cannot apply for work-study without applying for FASFA.

Any SLCC department looking to hire a student will need to create their OWN department account in Handshake. You do not want to join SLCC's exisiting account- you will be denied. Click here for instructions on how to create a seperate department account in Handshake.

Important FAQs:

  • There will be an option to join an existing account. You do not want this option, you will create your own department account.
  • Do not create a student account- unless that is your intention- you will need to follow the instructions for employers.
  • Make sure to not use your bruinmail as bruinmail's no longer exist.
  • Make sure to have multiple ownwers. In case someone leaves, you will still have access to add or deactivate employees.