Skip to main content

Concurrent Enrollment

Right of First Refusals (RFR)

Download The Annual Liaison Requirements Checklist

When High Schools can Request a Right of First Refusal

Right of first refusals allow high schools to work with another Utah System of Higher Education (USHE) Institution to offer certain concurrent enrollment classes that they cannot offer through SLCC. The following circumstances would qualify high schools to seek a right of first refusal:

  1. There is a course that SLCC does not offer, but another USHE institution does. Note that if SLCC decides to offer the course, once SLCC offers that course the RFR becomes null and void and the high school must then work with SLCC to offer that course.
  2. SLCC has reached capacity in terms of supporting additional instructors.
  3. SLCC uses instructional materials in a course that are sensitive materials, as defined by state law, or that are materials otherwise prohibited by state law or state board rule for use in kindergarten through grade 12.
  4. SLCC does not allow the high school to add additional sections of the course when the high school needs additional sections to support student demand for the course.
  5. SLCC denies your instructor but another USHE institution will approve that instructor. We only recommend seeking a RFR in this circumstance if the instructor has education at the masters level in the specific discipline, or an industry certification in the discipline, or years of full-time work experience in the discipline area. Most USHE institutions are generally on the same page in terms of instructor qualifications and if one institution denied your instructor, others will likely do the same. 

When High Schools Cannot Request a Right of First Refusal

  1. The high school or instructor does not like the SLCC curriculum.
  2.  The high school has been working with another USHE institution for several years and now SLCC is offering the course. 
  3. SLCC has denied the right of first refusal.

How to Request a Right of First Refusal

  1. Begin by reaching out to the CE director at the USHE institution whose service region you are in and provide the following information:
    1. The course code and course name for the course you would like to offer. For example, ART 1010, Exploring Art. 
    2. The USHE institution you would like to work with.
    3. The reason you are requesting a RFR.
  2. The CE director under the direction of SLCC Academic Affairs will approve or deny the request and log that decision to a shared spreadsheet that all the USHE CE directors share. 
  3. The CE director will then notify the individual who requested the RFR and - if approved - the CE director at the USHE institution the high school wishes to work with of the decision. 
  4. If the RFR has been approved, the USHE institution the high school has requested to work with will then make their own decision as to whether or not they will work with the high school and log that decision to the shared spreadsheet. 
  5. If approved, the high school may then begin working with the USHE institution the high school has requested to work. 

Salt Lake Community College

4600 South Redwood Road
Salt Lake City, UT 84123
801-957-SLCC (7522)

Student Services Hours: Monday - Thursday: 8 am - 7 pm | Friday: 8 am - 4:30 pm

Enrollment Info: 801-957-4073
Monday - Thursday: 7:30 am - 8 pm | Friday: 7:30 am - 4:30 pm | Saturday: 9 am - 1 pm

Technical Support

Support Website