Driver Safety Program

WHO is Eligible to Drive on College Business?

College employees, students, and official volunteers may be authorized by the Risk Management to drive on college business in a college-owned vehicle, a state fleet vehicle, a college authorized rental vehicle, or their own personal vehicle. Some age and driving record restrictions apply.

*You must be a CURRENT Authorized Driver at the time of travel to receive mileage reimbursement.*

Application To Become An Authorized Driver

***UPDATE: As of September 2016, the State Risk Department has changed the Driver Safety Program. Please be sure to READ and follow ALL directions in the Driver Training Step-by-Step Instructions as there are some technical processes that have changed.***

  1. Complete State of Utah required driver safety training through the Utah Learning Management Portal. The training includes a video presentation and a test. Materials are available online. Follow the Driver Safety Training Step-by-Step Instructions closely.
  2. Print off your "Certificate of Achievement" once you have completed the training. 
  3. Complete a Motor Pool Authorization Form and have your immediate supervisor sign it.
  4. Submit the following materials to the Risk Management (Taylorsville Redwood Campus, Academic & Administration Building AAB 211 P; or mail stop code RISK):
    • Certificate of Achievement from the Utah State Risk Department
    • Signed Mileage / Motor Pool Authorization Form
      • Legible photocopy of your drivers license
    • Any additional required driving documentation (e.g. medical card)

Risk Management will verify your eligibility and add you to the authorized driver database. If, for some reason you are not eligible to drive, both you and your supervisor will be notified.

Training Requirement

The Utah State Division of Risk Management requires that for an eligible individual to be authorized to drive on college business in either 1) a college owned vehicle, or 2) their own personal vehicle, a driver safety training course must be completed as part of the application process and before authorization to drive can be granted. Only authorized drivers may drive on college business.

If you drive your personal vehicle on college business, you do not qualify for mileage reimbursement unless you are an authorized driver. Additionally, if an accident occurs while you are on college business, your personal automobile insurance is still responsible for all damages and liability; the college is not.

You must renew Driver Safety Training every two years.

Authorization To Drive High Occupancy Vehicles

If you wish to drive a high occupancy vehicle (a vehicle with seven or more passengers) additional course work and hands-on training is required.

To register for HOV training, please contact the Motor Pool at

This training must be renewed every two years for the hands-on portion and every four years for the full course.

Requirements for Travel Using SLCC Vehicles

Before each trip, an Out-of-State Travel Request Form must be submitted to Risk Management or an In-State Travel Request Form must be submitted to the Motor Pool.

College vehicles should not be regularly driven outside the State of Utah. Requests for Out-of-State travel are reviewed on a per trip basis. Authorization for out-of-state travel may be requested by submitting an Out-of-State Travel Request Form to Risk Management.

Post Accident Training Requirement

If you are involved in an accident or incident while on college business, in either a college-owned vehicle or your own vehicle, and damage occurs to 1) your vehicle, 2) another vehicle, or 3) other property, you are required to repeat the driver safety training before you are allowed to drive on college business again. Authorization to drive again is restored only by Risk Management.

Questions or Additional Information

If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact Risk Management at or 801-957-4637.