Records Management

Managing College records involves much more than identifying the appropriate filing system. It involves how and where we store records as well as how long we keep them before we dispose of them. The SLCC Records Office can help you determine how and where to store your department's records or your own files, and how long they must be retained before you can dispose of them. Please contact us as you make decisions regarding retention and disposition of official College records.


What records are considered to be official College records?

According to the Utah Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA), records include, but are not limited to, the following: a book, letter, document, paper, map, plan, photograph, film, card, tape, recording, electronic data, or other documentary material regardless of physical form or characteristics.

How long should my department keep records?

The College, the Broad of Regents, and the State of Utah have established schedules identifying the amount of time records should be retained by the College before they are destroyed.Check the SLCC Records Retention Schedule to see if the records you are dealing with (called record series) are listed. If there is no specific record series for those records, please contact us to help you determine how long your records should be maintained and whether we should add a new record series to identify them in the SLCC Records Retention Schedule.

Must we keep hard copies (paper copies) of all our records?

No. Records may be kept in alternate formats, such as being scanned into Banner or the Nolij imaging system, copied to microfiche, etc. However, some records are not active files and it is easier to keep the hard copy than to use your department's labor resources to scan or microfiche the records. If you have questions about the best format to keep your records, please contact us.

What should we do if we don't have space in our department to store records?

If records are no longer being used frequently, but must still be retained for some period of time, you may store them in an off-site secure storage facility controlled by the Utah State Archives. It takes only 24-48 hours to retrieve documents that have been sent to off-site storage. For more information about off-site records storage, click here.

What is the appropriate way to dispose of records once they are no longer needed?

Records are disposed of in different ways, depending upon the information in the record. If the record contains personally identifiable information, such as names, addresses, social security numbers, grades, drivers license numbers, financial information, etc. regulations for those record types may require that the records be shredded. Shredding records is most effective in guarding against ID theft and protecting the privacy of the individuals whose personal information is contained in the records. A number of departments have shredders, but if you have large quantities of records to be shredded, check here for information regarding the college records destruction services.

If the record does not contain personally identifiable information, they may be placed in recycle bins located in a variety of places on our College sites, as long as they meet the criteria for recycling. Records that are valuable in documenting the history of the College are maintained by the SLCC Library Services, Archives Department. Please call the Archives Department at 801-957-4492.

If my records have historical value to the College, but I no longer need them, what should I do with them?

Records that are valuable in documenting the history of the College are maintained by the SLCC Library Services, Archives Department. Please call the Archives Department at 801-957-4492.

For questions regarding any of the following please contact the SLCC Records Office.

  • Government Records Access & Management Act (GRAMA)
  • Master agreement/contract file
  • Employee Training Records

For questions regarding the Family Educational Right to Privacy Act (FERPA) please contact the Registrar's Office.